Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project: Rebuilding AC compressor

I have a known bad AC compressor from my 97 OBW AT. The symptoms are thus: the clutch does not engage and when I tried to add refrigerant oil to the ports and turned the clutch by hand the oil did not get sucked in. The two Master ASEs who I was working next to both said "the compressor needs to be replaced". I did that (it was expensive!). Now it's time for a project, even if it's only to be done once and isn't worth my time. I want to experience, damnit!

So, people, talk to me about rebuilding an AC compressor? I googled it a bit and found a few folks who did this and took a lot of pictures. I guess I need to know about any sort of "AC rebuild kit". Where would I get such a thing? Any advice, thoughts, feedback, etc. Thanks.

didn't take any special tools to disassemble the one i took apart for kicks.

disassemble it and see if anything obvious sticks out.

Gotchya.

Should I get one of those kits to rebuilt a compressor? I figure I may as well replace the clutch and whatever gaskets and such that I find along the way. Do you know where I can find such a kit?

Gotchya.

Should I get one of those kits to rebuilt a compressor? I figure I may as well replace the clutch and whatever gaskets and such that I find along the way. Do you know where I can find such a kit?

I'd also be interested in learning about a kit for this.

I do know that from training years ago that the success of your rebuild will depend at least in part on how CLEAN everything is kept during the process. The AC system has to remain VERY clean inside and free of moisture and contaminants to live a long and healthy life.

I do not think it would be worth the time. I picked one up for my 98 Outback on eBay for 40 bucks shipped.

I know. I want to do this for the experience. My AC works great, but I have this extra compressor and I want to tinker. :)

There is nothing wrong with taking things apart for the heck of it. You may see something obvious right off the bat. An AC compressor rebuild may be hard to comebuy. You may need hardparts and not the gaskets and seals.

For now do an autopsy.