Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Early 80's Subaru Head - Identification

I bought out a bunch of heads from an auction that cleared out the guy that owned overbore.com. A whole table of Volkswagen Cranks and Heads for one money. Not a bad deal. I'm trying to clear them out and can't figure out what this head is. I thought it was a VW head, so I posted the details and pics on a VW Forum. They told me that it was probably an early Subaru head, pre-1985. Anyone know anything about this? What's it for? Is there a demand for a head like this. It's completely rebuilt (as you can see)

It has JAPAN on one side of the exhaust port and E63 on the other side. The label on the box says CHSU-4 w/ Valve. Here are some pics... any info, I greatfully appreciate....

SANY3497.jpg

SANY3498.jpg

SANY3499.jpg

SANY3500.jpg

SANY3501.jpg

SANY3502.jpg

SANY3503.jpg

SANY3504.jpg

SANY3505.jpg

Any info greatly appreciated. I don't think it's air cooled, I think this is a water cooled head.

Thank you!!!!

Wow... looks to be an EA71 head you have there.

Those are all water cooled blocks/heads made by FHI

Late 70s to early 80s

more diehard gen 1 folks will chime in here soon.

Nice pics

Edited by backwoodsboy

I was sure EA71 exhaust was out the bottom of the head and EA63 was out the front... but Ill yield my opinion to yours.

Early maybe. I have been wrong a couple times before ;)

I believe the casting to be so though. Maybe, one of the historic guys will see this and correct both of us.

I hate to admit it... but I think Qman is right. :eek: The cast #s are correct.

I dont have an EA63 at the house, but I do have some EA71s.

All the EA71s say E71 in the cast #s at the bottom of the head.

Its an EA63 head.

YAY!! What do I win???

Yep, I do have two of these heads. I also think I have a set of the EA71's that you're talking about. Like I said, I bought a whole table / one lot of this stuff and I'm still going through it. I got all of the air-cooled / old school dune buggy VW heads up on eBay this week and after I get through the VW OHC heads, I'm going to push on getting these Subaru heads up. I have no idea what they're worth. I may just put them up for a couple bucks, buy it now. If anyone is interested, get a hold of me sometime next week and I'll know more than likely what I have.

Thanks for all the info, it's grrrrr-eatly appreciated!!!

- Mike

Not sure what the E63 is all about but I'm certain that is a EA71 Head.

Dirk

That will teach me to open my mouth to soon.

The casting is indeed the same as EA71 heads although I can see now that the valves and combustion chambers are smaller in accordance with the smaller bore of the EA63.

+ one for Q-man

Dirk

Yep, I do have two of these heads. I also think I have a set of the EA71's that you're talking about. Like I said, I bought a whole table / one lot of this stuff and I'm still going through it. I got all of the air-cooled / old school dune buggy VW heads up on eBay this week and after I get through the VW OHC heads, I'm going to push on getting these Subaru heads up. I have no idea what they're worth. I may just put them up for a couple bucks, buy it now. If anyone is interested, get a hold of me sometime next week and I'll know more than likely what I have.

Thanks for all the info, it's grrrrr-eatly appreciated!!!

- Mike

Any of them have the exhaust ports on front/back of the head instead of the bottom?