Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, I have searched, and searched and found lots of info regarding the later plastic seperator plates that from what I little I have been able to glean were used on 93 & up EJ motors...most of the threads i found were about 96's and later, both 2.2's and 2.5's

My car - 1990 Legacy LS, EJ22, 4EAT, AWD, 211K leaking oil like a sieve...

now from what I have been able to find, my seperator plate "should" be aluminum, correct?

I know it has been said to get the steel replacement one anyway, but I really can not afford to at this time unless it is an absolute necessity, so...I "should" be able to re-use the aluminum plate, use the ultra grey sealant and it "should" be OK - correct?

(and use locktight on the screws - really hoping the rear main is ok)

It would be really useful to know the answers to these questions asap as there are USMB members coming up tomorrow to help me pull, reseal, and re-install the motor - will also be doing timing related stuff as it will be that much easier with the motor out and it is due anyway.

If I absolutely must get the steel plate (& screws), I would need to do it today and the nearest dealer is about an hour away...

Thanks in advance for advice.

Opposed Forces lists two numbers for '93 2.2L engines (I would think the '90 would use the plastic one).

11831AA080 (Think this is the plastic one)

11831AA150 (Think this is the AL one)

Both of the above ones use countersunk screws.

They have all been replaced by 11831AA210 that is the steel one and uses flat head screws.

If yours has the plastic one I would change it, perhaps some of the USMB members may have an AL one they could give you?

a little while back i did call the "local" dealer about this and was told "I think yours is metal" (they did NOT impress me one bit - as in if it is older than 98 forgetaboutit...)

i did find a video by someone named Justin @ All Wheel Drive Auto "explaining" about the seperator plate and it was stated very clearly that the first couple years were aluminum, then they went to the plastic, then finally to the stamped steel replacement. Do I trust this info? :confused:

I would really like to get verification on this info from members here that have gotten into one of these...please?

THANK YOU, GENTLEMEN!

(yes GD, I include you in that statement ;) )

you have just made my day. :banana:

Mike, thank you for that link - funny, i did not get that particular thread in my searches

Edited by heartless

the aluminum ones will leak as well. but 21 yrs, and 211,500 miles - yeah, i would expect a few leaks. :grin:

so, yeah - 1990 at least has aluminum plate.

motor got pulled yesterday, pretty much everything got resealed and it got stuffed back in, still have a few minor things to finish up, but hopefully the massive oil leaks have been stopped - a quart of oil a week was getting expensive (and i dont do that much driving!)

Edited by heartless

from what info i was able to gather, 90, 91 & 92 should all be aluminum.

they started using the plastic in 93, so some may be aluminum, some may be plastic - they continused using the plastic for many years and only fairly recently went to the stamped steel one.

but yeah, the only way to know for sure is to pull the motor - as many of the original plastic ones have been swapped out for metal by now. :rolleyes: