Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is the rear end the cause of torque bind? i thought it was. i just wanted to make sure. if the rear end goes bad what happens? i still have the gear box for the front axles integrated into the transmission. can the rear gear box lock up and only let the car go forward only and not in reverse.

Depends if it is a manual or auto on what happens when it goes poof.

Gegerally differentials whine before they fail or clunk whne cainging direction.

On a LSD missmatched tires will make it fail, on a sooby all 4 tires have to match.

More then that search.

Center differential/transfer unit damage is the cause of torque bind.

A bad differential can cause binding, but it's a bit different. Usually it is due to the spider gears being worn and getting jammed when the axles try to spin at different speeds. They will make popping and clicking noises as you turn.

Is this auto or manual trans?

NVM. I'll post in your other thread.

Edited by Fairtax4me

does any one know if low fluid will damage the transfer clutches?

this is probably a moot point since low fluid will definitely damage the internals of the trans, like no reverse.

i lost the rear main seal on my 95 auto trans at ~160k going 70mph on the hiway. i felt a shudder and then a boom like feeling. i drove about 20 miles to the repair shop and had the seal replaced. (at idle trans fluid was pouring out from under the car, not good.)

when the service station replaced the seal the tech did not ADD any fluid. :eek: and i stupidly paid the bill and drove away with even asking them any questions about the work. i was an idiot, a real dumb-a$$. :confused:

later that evening i went to back out of a parking space and i had no reverse. i checked the fluid and there was none. i drove to a parts store and added ~4 qts. but the damage was done.

i later bought a 96 lego wreck for 400$ and used the the trans in my 95. gave the car to my son and he drove it all the way through college . (i had already bought a replacement.)

i then used the engine from the 96 wreck in a 97 GT with bad head gaskets which i'm now / still driving, 30k so far.

low or no fluid will destroy an auto trans. but short of that, or one that has never had the fluid changed , these auto trans will go for the life of the car. it is one of their strong points. so buying a used one for $300 - $500 is a safe bet, especially if it was running when it crashed and the fluid looks good.

so JCE - you're a second case of low trans fluid ruining reverse?

wonder if that's "normal" and maybe intentional by Subaru?

i drove it for a couple of months without reverse. i learned to park very carefully. and a few times reverse would catch when i was testing it, but there was no rhyme or reason to when it would. hot or cold , rarely would it catch. but i found a 97 obw in my price range before i found a wreck in my part of the state. so i upgraded and gave my son the 95 lego.