Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Guys,

Finally had time to run down a electrical intermittent that has been causing an 0462 fuel circuit voltage low issue. So I have it pinned down to the gauge cluster, who would have ever thought. ?Has anyone taken the cluster apart (2004 impreza OB (sport))? Looks like a pretty easy task but that thought has back fired before! Once I'm in is the fuel gauge a replacable unit?

Thanks.

The clusters in these cars are amazingly simple to take out and take apart. Inside they are all modular. There are everal plug in harnesses. There will be one small but tough one in the center(ish) of the cluster which is for the spedo, otherwise everything else is obvious.

It sounds like you are doing a good job on checking things. I assume you have already verified that power is getting to the gauge ok but if you haven't done that yet check it out before you replace the gauge. Look for bad connections inside the cluster also.

Your right, it was pretty straight forward. It is just so brittle.....

I see I can purchase just the gauge component or the fuel/coolant temp gauge sub-assembly. Tried removing the indicator (needle) but didn't want to go too far. It didn't budge. Ever remove the needle and is it indexed. I ask because if I go for the component instead of the sub-assembly I would need to remove the (functional) temp indicator as well as the fuel indicator to be able to remove the mylar guage face in order to get at the screws holding said component.

These are (realtivly) cheap gauges, so they not mounted on a free standing pin. You need a specisl tool to remove and reinstall a needle ((and a gentle touch). ALso you need some sort of calibration comaprison.

Just easier to replace things :)