Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lost lug nut safety socket..suggestions???

I lost the safety lug nut socket for my 2005 sub outback. The safety lug set came with the car purchased new and are a Subaru item per the package. It is not an immediate situation unless I have a flat, but I need to remedy the problem for peace of mind and future tire changes!

How do I remedy the situation?

How do I get the safety lugs off without a socket?

Can I purchase a replacement socket? Where?

Do I have to purchase an entire set?

Thanks for your help in advance for your sage advice and suggestions.

Maybe I should change my name from Monk to "lug nut"!

Monk50 in NC

monk50,

Somewhere in the info that came with the car at delivery, will be a code/serial number for the wheel lock set on your car. Check the owners manual for a card with the info or where it may be written in the actual owners manual itself. Then contact the wheel lock company for a replacement lock. Good Luck!

Some cars you can just use a bolt extractor on and be done with it. Don't know if a Subaru has the space.

On my VW one of the first things I did was get rid of those lugs!

My local VW dealer will remove them for a fee (coffee kitty money).

I don't live in the city and out here most folks have guns. Cuts down on petty crap like getting tires stolen.

Last thing I ever want to happen is have a flat and not know where the lug key is because I had someone else rotate them, check the brakes, whatever.

When we got our Outback from the dealer there was a blister pack in the storage under the floor above the spare that had the key lug and our regular lugs that got replaced and a serial number for the replacement if lost.

Thanks for the replys. I found the blister pack and will make contact with the Sub dealer to see if I can get a replacement.

Think I will also take the advice, remove the safety as where I live the 2nd amendment is a strong deterent to theft!

Follow up:

I found the blister pack with information to get another socket; called gave the id # and julian date and placed one on order. Cost $10 plus $4.95 S&H.

Thanks. Costly mistake on my end but good to have a remedy. Thanks for all the help.

FYI: Co that supplied McGuard phone # 1-800-4444-5847

Monk50

Good to hear you got it taken care of, but for future reference, a 12 point socket that isn't quite large enough can be pounded on to turn the nut off.

You may end up splitting the socket so either use a cheap one, or one with a "no questions" warranty.

Also, many tire shops have a "universal" lock remover, you can take the car there with 4 regular lug nuts and have them get rid of the lockers.

I have heard that some people have had success with a gator socket.

gator-grips-universal-socket.jpg