Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying to uprade my subby so i dont sell her

so i want to upgrade my 92 loyale and i would like it if some body could help me do all the work since i dont have all the tools and no place to work...but i can give some cash to anyone that helps teach me how to do all of this.

things i want to do

1)swap in a ej22 engine...dont know if the wagon engines are better but would like to know

2)install a 4 inch lift on it so i can have even more fun

3)i want to redrill the hubs and make them a 6 lug toyota pattern

crazyeights has given you some very good resources for info - use them, read them, then read them again.

I would recommend you do things in stages - a little at a time so you dont get overwhelmed. no one has a magic wand they can wave and have it done instantly - it takes time, energy and resources to create what you want.

Decide which of those 3 things you listed you want first, and then do that.

Once you have that item done and everything is operating smoothly & reliably, then do the next thing, have that operating smoothly and reliably, and so on.

This is NOT an instant gratification type project you are looking at. Be prepared to put a lot of time and effort into it - there will be days that you get so frustrated with it that you will want to just chuck it all - walk away for a day or two, then go back to it with a clear head.

You CAN do this, but it will take time.

If you want it all "right now" - go buy one that is already done - but that wont give you the satisfaction of learning how and actually doing it yourself, and that is the best part. :)

crazyeights has given you some very good resources for info - use them, read them, then read them again.

I would recommend you do things in stages - a little at a time so you dont get overwhelmed. no one has a magic wand they can wave and have it done instantly - it takes time, energy and resources to create what you want.

Decide which of those 3 things you listed you want first, and then do that.

Once you have that item done and everything is operating smoothly & reliably, then do the next thing, have that operating smoothly and reliably, and so on.

This is NOT an instant gratification type project you are looking at. Be prepared to put a lot of time and effort into it - there will be days that you get so frustrated with it that you will want to just chuck it all - walk away for a day or two, then go back to it with a clear head.

You CAN do this, but it will take time.

If you want it all "right now" - go buy one that is already done - but that wont give you the satisfaction of learning how and actually doing it yourself, and that is the best part. :)

Agreed. There are few things as satisfying as running around in a vehicle you built yourself.

are there any used conversion kits on here for sale the ea to ej swap kit..or should i just save and buy a new one cuz 400 is a lot for 2 pieces of metal i only paid 600 for my car and i still have to buy an engine...........are there any other parts i need to buy for the swap

If you think that $400 is a lot of money - you probably shouldn't be considering doing an EJ swap into your ride. Here's how it breaks down:

EJ22 + wireing harness: ~$500

Doesn't really matter if you buy a junk car for it's engine and harness or buy one from a dismantler/junk yard. That's about the going rate. Sometimes you find stuff cheaper but you usually get what you pay for. I bought a good 22 two days ago with a 6 month warrantee for a customer of mine - $450.

Timing belt kit, seals, gaskets, and other neccesities to prep the engine for install: ~$250

Having the harness stripped (assuming you can't do it yourself since most people here can't): $250

That's $1000 just for the engine and the harness to make it run. Add in the adpator kit, new clutch, custom exhaust, and all the other bits and peices you will need because you don't have a shed full of Subaru parts like myself and a few others around here - you won't get the job done (as in running and driving as a reliable daily driver) for less than $2000 to $2500 - assuming you can do all the labor yourself and have the ability to fabricate as needed.

So are you prepared to spend $2000 on a car that's worth $600 when you could just sell it and buy a Legacy - installl some outback struts/springs, and with the same adaptor kits and a little fab work install a 5 speed D/R from an '80s GL?

And no - you won't find much as far as used conversion kits. Sometimes they come along but you will just have to watch and wait. Might take a year or a couple years to find one and even then you will pay $200 or more. You should easily be able to go out an earn $200 in less time than it would take to wait around for a used set.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

said it before, & i will say it one more time...

This is NOT an instant gratification project!

At age 17, you need to learn patience - first and foremost.

unless you have a ton of money laying around burning to get spent, yeah, it will take time to get everything together - and no, it wont be "cheap" but it will be very satisfying gathering up the things you will need a piece at a time - over time - and finally getting it all put together. (and it WILL be cheaper to maintain after it is all together...)

Like Miles said - go for the lift now, even the 6 lug thing is do-able pretty quickly - then drive the snot out of it while you collect all the bits & pieces for the EJ swap.

One thing at a time kid. :rolleyes:

Youve got some of the best names on this forum telling you what to do with this project....

I would take a listen.

This isnt your typical forum, there are more knowledgeable people on this board than there usually is.

I would start with a lift... get a lift and some tires to help you crawl around, Ive seen stock EA82s lifted and with bigger tires do just fine offroad.

Asking for help is fine, but listen to the help you are given. Several reputable names have been thrown out to give you the right information for your project, and like Heartless said, its not instant gratification, unless you have a couple grand burning a hole in your pocket to just dump on the car right now.

ya well i love my subby but i have been told by some of you that if i put the lift on it with 27 inch tires that my sub wont be able to push them...have to be able to do 70mph thats freeway speeds here....and i know some one that will sell me a 4 runner for 2grand....cuz im leaving for the airforce and i want to be able to enjoy my last summer mudding and trail riding and have a mobbin beast in the winter

Sell the subie, and get the 4 runner, its more what you want, and cheaper in the long run if you want to go serious with the offroading.

As someone who is already in the military, let me give you my .02 cents, E-2 pay is lousy, heck even E-4 pay is pretty low unless you are getting BAH/BAS and as someone fresh out of basic, you probably won't be getting either. Don't go blowing your paychecks on toys and put yourself into debt, a great deal of jobs in the airforce require security clearance, which you will loose the second you don't pay your bills.

Also, put as much as you can into TSP, seriously, that money adds up quick, and when you're ready to retire at 50 you'll be a millionaire.

A spfi ea82 wagon just like yours will top out at 98mph on 30" mudders, and hold that for hours. So freeway speeds shouldn't be a problem on 27" tires.

A loyale has a pushbutton 4x4 trans. They suck, you need a dual range 3.9 final drive ratio 4x4 trans out of a 86-89 GL. The low range is required with bigger tires.

Mods list should be this:

D/R trans swap

Lift @ tires

Welded rear diff or RX limited slip

Rear disk brakes

Engine swap

In that order. Complete each step and drive it before you take on the next one.

well how hard is the trans swap ...will i need anything special to do the trans swap new clutch....tomorrow im going to pns to get 4 hubs and im gonna redrill them so i can fit toyota wheels the i wanted to do lift...then engine swap but i do need info on the trans swap please

You have to pay CLOSE attention when doing your re-drilled hubs.

A hack job will be unsafe, pay close attention to measurements and check twice drill once.

The trans swap is pretty straight forward if I recall from reading. You will need the center console from a EA82 D/R car, and the transmission obviously. A new clutch is not needed, but if you need one, then you might as well get one.

...but i have been told by some of you that if i put the lift on it with 27 inch tires that my sub wont be able to push them...

Who told you that??? surely not anyone here? your fuel mileage will definitely suffer, but it will run at freeway speeds fine. :rolleyes: it can, and has, been done... many times over...

The trans swap is pretty straight forward if I recall from reading.

yup - if you have a manual tranny already, then it is pretty easy - but you will definitely want the console section out of the donor car for the range selector - you dont really need the whole thing, just the boot section/front half.

if you need a clutch (or are close to needing one) do it while things are out since you will have access anyway & dont forget about the bearings (pilot & throwout)

Seriously - if you were closer, i would be happy to help - but there is a good 1800-2000 miles difference here - I am in Wisconsin. :-\

Trans swap is a bolt in affair. When pulling the one out of the donor car, pull the speedo cable out through the firewall and keep it with the trans. Get the trans, the shifter assembly, the shift boot, and console insert. Both shift knobs unthread to let you pull the console peice off.

It's a great upgrade, and the 1.59:1 low range reduction helps a lot when you have bigger tires.

I'm gonna get shot for suggesting this but........

If I wanted a bomb proof go anywhere 4x4, my weapon of choice would be a Jeep Wrangler or Nissan Safari.

Ill get my coat on the way out........

Trans swap first. You get the lift and tires, you want to take it out and play. You will stall it all over the place and be disappointed. So if you do the trans first, then the lift and tires, you'll be excited at the capability of the car rather than thinking you've crippled it. Which, with big tires and a single range pushbutton 4x4, you would have.

I started with a 4" lift and 30" tires on my 92 loyale. Drove it that way for a while, then swapped a dual range transmission in. Way better, but would still power out on big hillclimbs. So then the EJ22 came into play. Then I had too much wheelspin, so I got a RX rear LSD.

Oh, and get wheels with the right offset when you do 6 lug. If you get standard chevy steel wagon wheels, they will stick out too far, cause more rubbing on the body, and go through wheel bearings quick. You want a wheel that tucks the tire as close to the strut as possible. I had great luck with the chromed steel wheels off a Mitsubishi Mighty Max/ Dodge Ram D50 pickup from the early 90's. They looked good, stout as hell, flat surface where I redrilled the rims to 4 lug, and perfect offset. You're going for 6 lug on the hubs, so you can use aluminum rims.

i should fly u in lol..that would be sweet l....so if i put the lift will i still have enough horse to go out and play around in it...for hubs im gonna follow this guide

http://offroadingsubarus.com/6stud_conversion.html

with a dual range tranny and a lift/bigger tires (you need the lo range with the bigger tires), yeah, you would be fine to go play. In fact, it might even help you be a better driver off road, as you would need to learn how to handle stuff less with hp and more with torque & driving technique.

See, too many think "more hp" is the answer to everything - it isnt. period.

learning proper technique (driver skill) and how to use the torque/hp your vehicle does have will get you a lot further than you think it will.

Who told you that??? surely not anyone here? your fuel mileage will definitely suffer, but it will run at freeway speeds fine. :rolleyes: it can, and has, been done... many times over...

I told him nothing bigger then 27s without a dual range. Yeah i suppose you can get away with bigger with no dual range but all i know is my buggy has 31s and you need to keep it in low range most of the time to really get any power.