Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, I had a front end collision in my 1996 legacy outback 2.2, the radiator damaged the timing belt cover sending a small piece of plastic into the housing. Now the car wont start.., It seems to me that the timing belt skipped a few teeth on one pully, due to the impact, and the broken plastic. I do not think any interface damage occured. Does anyone know if I can get this car back in time? is it possible., how is it done?

Just get a new timing belt and put it on. The engine you have is non-interferance and will not have been damaged by skipping a few teeth on the timing belt. Check to make sure the cam pulley(s) aren't bent from the impact. Good idea to replace the idlers, cam/crank seals, and water pump at the same time. You can get complete kits with all the parts for about $100 including shipping from ebay.

GD

Maybe the timing belt is fine and the cam or crank sensor got broken.

Save yourself some labor and remove the outer covers, and break off the middle cover so you do not have to remove the crank pulley.

and once again, going with no covers makes future maintenance a breeze, as most folks will tell you

Your engine is also non-interference(ej22e) and is voted the best reliable subaru engine

before i done my timing belt last year. i went over to you tube and started watching videos of how it was done. here is the link to soem of them i watched.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=subaru+timing+belt+replacement

this is what i really watched first was the water pump replacement videos.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=subaru+timing+belt+replacement