Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head torque step, back of by 180 deg question..

Just a quick question, After torquing the heads to 22 and 51 the next step is to back off by 180 and then another 180. When I back off the head bolts by the first 180 the bolt is just about totally loose.. And the second 180 is totally loose finger tight. Is this normal? Again just seemed a little funny to me, Better to ask now before I drop it in. I followed everything exactly.

Thanks,

Geo

Yea..it's good to know. I figured the first step was just to seat the gasket, but when you have specific instructions to back off 180 twice you would think the bolts would be still snug, it just got me wondering if I missed a step. Glad there is some very helpful people around here.

Well it's all back together. Going to try to install it this weekend. I took my time and feel I should not have any issues, well crossing my fingers. This was my first Subaru experience and enjoyed the change. Hope the car will work out. I picked it up for $300 due to a weeping head gasket and a dent in the fender from a deer. replaced all the seals and gaskets accept the rear main due to every ones advice. Car came with new tires,brakes, and exhaust. old owner did not want to spend the money to fix it. while doing the head gaskets, I changed the water pump, resealed the oil pump, timing belt and all the rollers, all hoses, Tstat,air filter, fuel filter, all gasket that came in the reseal kit, Clutch,pressure plate and bearrings used all OEM accept spark plug wires and clutch (exedy) It should be dam good car for the $1200 I got in to it. I just have to get the hood and fender painted.

2000 Legacy L

120 K

Thanks for every ones help! I'm sure I will call on you again.

Geo

06072011187_0.jpg

subaru_legacy_003_0.JPG

trx200sx_002_0.JPG

Edited by Rpm90001