Ultimate Subaru Message Board

knock sensor was replaced, original owner effed it up looked like the wire harness broke so they spliced wires together, not knowing theres two wires, ground and power, shop "rewired" it and told me it probably fried the ecm. Ecm replaced code still shows, car mostly sits i only drive it 3 miles a day to get to work. when i figure out how to fix that i will. if theres any online wiring diagrams thatd be nice.

now driving the car or idle it will run as well as a car with a bad knock sensor does, for 10 mins or so then stall, and start right back up. o2 sensor? complications from the knock sensor?

thoughts?

I just had to replace a knock sensor wiring as it was cut on the engine I got from the yard. I just pulled the 2 wires out of an old harness I had and then re-pined them in the connector.

Easy enough to do and then you do not have splices.

I doubt a knock sensor would take out an ECU.

I might have a used one if you need one.

It runs in the open loop until it warms up. Once warm, the ECU wants to control the fuel, ign and timing.

I'd take care of the knock sensor, clear the codes and then see what comes back.

the knock sensor was installed again with the two wires reconnected. what was done it was originally connected with this weird blue wire crimper with both wires being connected to each other making two wires into one. :mad:

ive noticed the stalling happens once the engine is fully warmed up. its an all of the sudden stall no warning just dead then starts right back up.

the knock sensor was installed again with the two wires reconnected. what was done it was originally connected with this weird blue wire crimper with both wires being connected to each other making two wires into one. :mad:

ive noticed the stalling happens once the engine is fully warmed up. its an all of the sudden stall no warning just dead then starts right back up.

I replaced the knock sensor on my 98 OBW. I don't remember seeing two wires crimped together to make one wire. That doesn't sound right at all.

no not at all. that is what the original owner did after what i am guessing happened the white connector broke off. then some how choosing to crimp the two wires further up past the connector making one wire out of two. making the ground wire and the positive wire running the same into the sensor.... which is never a good thing.

i then took it to a shop with a cel was told it was knock sensor then they found this mess fixed it and said i prolly needed a new ecm so i got one from a yard and it still gives the knock sensor codes. this was done last fall. its hasnt been code cleared but its been driven enough to where the codes should have reset.

I suggest pulling the codes again. You may find codes for something more than one for the knock sensor. If so, those extra codes will point out other problems that need to be addressed.

When my knock sensor went bad, it produced an intermittent CEL. So, the system can reset itself. With a bad knock sensor, my engine ran poorly. It was down on power, but it never stalled.

I am thinking that with new knock sensor and wiring being repaired at a repair shop, that their work should have cured your problem. Replacing the ECU hasn't rid you of the knock sensor code either, so I am thinking you still have issues with the knock sensor system. Maybe the shop over tightened the installation of the knock sensor, and in doing so, cracked the plastic cap? Maybe their rewiring was done poorly?