Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Embarrassed to even ask this.....

Ok, ***I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question.. With 30 years working on cars an bikes this seems like something I should know..but anyways...

I just finished doing head gaskets on my 00 legacy 2.5 also did the timing belt and all the rollers and tensioner. ***My question is ( hidding my face). While turning the motor over by hand on the engine stand, I put my hand over the exhaust port and there was a hell of a lot of vacuum created while turning the motor over, ***it would also puts a lot of air depending on where I was in the stroke. *** Is it normal to create any vacuum at the exhaust port? *** I'm near 99.9 percent sure I have the timing correct. ***I'm ready to drop this motor back in, but this has me a little confused. ***Someone put my mind at ease... Thanks for any help..

G

if you did the heads right and the timing belt marks are dead on you have nothing to worry about. what you're describing is not a standardized test, i wouldn't worry about it.

if the valves are slightly opened and the pistons are receding then maybe. which way are you turning it over by hand? did you try both ways?

You know I've never bothered to see if the exhaust pulls any.

When you set the crank did you use the notch on the reluctor tooth for timing? Did you have the cam sprockets off? You made sure the one with the notches on the back is on the drivers side head right? The notches are for the cam position sensor.

Turning it over clockwise. It just sounded funny, that's why I put my hand over it. I just did not expect it to create any vacuum at the exhaust port Maby I'm just looking into this a bit much. Just did not seem right, but if something is wrong I want to correct it while it is on the stand

By memory I used the colored dot on the crank gear, and the key on the crank was in the down position. I replaced the cam seals, but did them 1 at a time so I know I did not mix them up.

Geo

Edited by Rpm90001

Valve overlap will cause the intake valve to open before the exhaust valve closes and the piston will be traveling down on the intake stroke. When turned over slowely this wil result in a suction on the exhaust port for a moment - at operating speed the expanding hot exhaust gasses will help pull in more air/fuel mixture as they leave a vacuum in their wake upon exiting the exhaust port.

So yes - that's normal.

GD