Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine idles low then stalls out

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you may not be conficent enough to try the timing by yourself yet - BUT, you CAN do a quick check

pull both outer covers off so you can see the timing cam pulleys.

then look at the top of the trans - there is a rubber plug at the top, just behind where motor & tranny meet - remove that plug.

get a 22mm socket and either a large breaker bar, or a length of pipe to fit over the ratchet handle to give you a little more torque.

you want to rotate the motor (clockwise) until you see the 3 lines on the flywheel in the little window where the plug was on the tranny.

These are NOT to be mistaken for the timing marks with numbers - they will have no numbers, just three equal length lines - might take a little work to find them, but they are there. keep a rag handy to wipe the edge of the flywheel off to help you find them.

Once you find those marks - line up the middle one with the built in pointer on the tranny (check the pics in the timing belt write up - 6th pic)

then take a look at your cam pulleys - one pulley should have the little hole pointing straight up, the other should be pointing straight down (makes no difference at this point which is which) - if they are not - your timing is off

honestly - it really isnt that hard.

Sure, it can be intimidating if you have never done it, but it really isnt that hard. I did it alone first time, and second time, and every time after that. :) (multiple cars)

First time took me a few hours - cause i kept coming back in the house to double & triple check the write up.

Now, i could probably do one from start to run in about an hour, hour & a half tops (barring any problems with cover bolts that is)

oh, and I'm a girl...but, not your average girl :grin: :cool: ;)

they can be a bit awkward to see with the motor in the car.

a mm or two - not too worried about that tiny bit - if you had said a cm or two, that is a different story...really need to get a look at the other side tho to know for sure...

so why could you only see one side?

is the cover being a pain to get off, or what is happening?

really need to look at both ....

Hey mods, can we condense the two threads about this one engine into one thread?

Like I said in the other thread, check your air filter, if its wet, or got wet and is now dry, that is your problem. Super cereal, check it out.

I'd even put cashy monies on it.

altinator is in the way on the other side....my grandpa was saying that the computer could have got wet is this a possibility

so move the alternator - not hard to do.

and no, you did not get the computer wet - the inside of the car would have had to be knee deep in water to do that.