Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 96 Legacy Outback 5spd with 160k on it. Recently when I'm making low speed turns sometimes I feel a lot of resistance from the drive train. It feels kind of like I'm driving my pickup in 4 wheel on dry pavement but isn't too terrible. I assume my viscous coupling is on it's way out and it's only going to get worse from here.

Is their anything I can do to tell for sure it is the viscous coupling as I know it's not a cheap part and don't want to replace it if it isn't bad. Also I've heard older models have a two piece one or something to that avail which is more difficult to change. I have a build date of 11/95.

If I jack up one side of the car both wheels will spin together freely. If I jack up a single tire it will turn with some resistance, defiantly not freely but you don't have to put all your muscle into it either. I also don't always have the binding problem while driving. Can I remove the rear drive shaft to see if the problem persists or will the car not even move/damage something?

Heat is the major killer of the VC. If your tires are not within 1/4" circumference of each other the VC is being worked constantly, which creates heat in the unit. If your tires don't match, buy 4 new ones and that may remedy the problem.

It's not difficult to change and junkyard parts often work just fine. The VC/center differential unit is contained in a single housing. I'm not sure of other differences between years, but size-wise I'm pretty sure they are the same.

Yeah - probably a bad VC. They don't fail on the 5MT's much - just get a used center diff assembly and put it in.

+1

You can't remove the driveline and drive it in 2WD like that - it will wreck the VC even more. AWD's can't be driven that way.
actually you can do that once they're failed and completely locked up you can remove the rear driveshaft and just run it as a FWD.....or remove the front axles and run it as RWD. yours doesn't sound completely hosed yet though?

Thanks for the replies.

All the tires are the same size, they were all replaced together 20,000 miles ago and have been rotated. One side lost about 10lbs of pressure and I don't know how long it was like that before I noticed it. That's what put the nail in the coffin on the coupling I'm sure. It's better with the tires properly inflated but defiantly not 100%.

No it isn't completely shot yet, it's just starting to go. As for junkyard parts it's pretty much out of the question. Junkyards around here think parts are made of solid gold. They want $2,000 for any transmission. I could buy another good running car for that.

I'm debating getting the part from the dealer and changing it out if it's possible to do it. The cars worth about two grand, I need the coupling, timing belts, a clutch, an 02 sensor, possibly a cat and I need to repair some rust. When a $2,000 car needs $1,000 worth of parts it might be time for it to retire.

When a $2,000 car needs $1,000 worth of parts it might be time for it to retire.

And do what? Get another $2000 car with unknown issues that'll need $1000 of parts/repair in the next year?

If the car isn't rusty, just needs some maintenance and the center diff, I'd definitely fix it.

Someone on here can definitely ship you a good used one. Ask in the wanted section.

So, where is around here?

Glen Cove, NY

And do what? Get another $2000 car with unknown issues that'll need $1000 of parts/repair in the next year?

If the car isn't rusty, just needs some maintenance and the center diff, I'd definitely fix it.

Someone on here can definitely ship you a good used one. Ask in the wanted section.

This car needs over $1,000 worth of work right now.

Timing belts - $250

O2 Sensor - $100

Differential - $500

Clutch & Flywheel turning - $250

Front Cat (possibly) - $275

Motor mounts - $100

Paint, primer, bondo, etc for rust repair - $100

That's doing the work myself.

The pipe on the rear cat also cracked almost all the way around and I brazed it back together. The muffler flange rotted off completely and I made a new flange from sheet metal and welded it on. Who knows how long those will last, that's another $500 in parts if I have to change them out.

I will try looking for one in the wanted section though. If I can get it here at a reasonable price I'll keep her going a while longer.

Edited by Tmb9862

Ahh, you can cut that in half easy.

Timing belt kit. Lots of folks here have used Mizumoauto for parts and have had good luck with them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Timing-Belt-Kit-Water-Pump-Subaru-EJ18-EJ22-90-Feb-97-/220747435314?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru|Year%3A1996&hash=item3365928d32#ht_3721wt_835

Exedy clutch kit. Exedy/Daikin makes Subaru OE clutches.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270727015352&viewitem=#ht_2545wt_896

I can get you a center diff and ship it for well under $100. Or ask Nipper (he lives on LI) about where to find a good cheap junkyard to get one yourself.

I can get you a center diff and ship it for well under $100. Or ask Nipper (he lives on LI) about where to find a good cheap junkyard to get one yourself.
Boy, wish I had known that when I had a VC issue with our Forester.

Timing belts - $130 (ebay kit containing all idlers, water pump, and seals)

O2 Sensor - $75 (NTK brand direct fit replacement)

Differential - ($50 to $100 - www.car-part.com - call some yards)

Clutch & Flywheel turning - $150 (Amazon exedy kit for $120 - flywheel turn should run about $20 to $30)

Front Cat (possibly) - $75 (generic ebay cat or used y-pipe from wanted forum)

Motor mounts - $25 - (used take-off's from anyone upgradeing to group-n - check NASIOC....)

Paint, primer, bondo, etc for rust repair - $100

That's doing the work myself.

Fixed. That comes to a little over $600. This stuff isn't really that expensive if you shop around and utilize the forums - wanted and for sale sections, ebay seller reccomendations, etc.

Trust me - those price ARE realistic. I recondition and sell Subaru's besides repairing them for a living. It's all I do - every day.

Hell - I have a VC in my garage I would sell you - $50 shipped. :rolleyes:. As noted they are common as dirt and almost never fail. I have spare tranny parts all over the place from building custom transmissions.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Again, thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm going to look around a bit try to keep the car going a while longer. Are those hundred dollar timing kits really any good? I don't want something that's going to leave me stuck in the middle of nowhere in two years.

Sounds just like my mom she was yapping telling me I'm putting too much money in my car (my leggy 95) and she was like you need to get a newer model.. and I was like why so I have to replace the same parts that need to be replaced that I already did on the 95.

Sometimes selling it and getting another one is best... like with my 96 legacy. That was a great car, but holy god, the most random things broke all the time. Stuff that never fails.

The poor new owner is still having issues with it. Full of gremlins.

Usually though, that's not the case.

Could you give me an idea where to look, I'd defiantly pick one up at that price.

Could you give me an idea where to look, I'd defiantly pick one up at that price.

Fixed. That comes to a little over $600. This stuff isn't really that expensive if you shop around and utilize the forums - wanted and for sale sections, ebay seller reccomendations, etc.

Trust me - those price ARE realistic. I recondition and sell Subaru's besides repairing them for a living. It's all I do - every day.

Hell - I have a VC in my garage I would sell you - $50 shipped. :rolleyes:. As noted they are common as dirt and almost never fail. I have spare tranny parts all over the place from building custom transmissions.

GD

There ya go.

GD

If it will fit a 96 legacy 2.2l 5spd I'd really appreciate it. If it won't and you can give me an idea where to look for one I'd appreciate that as well.