Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sometimes selling it and getting another one is best... like with my 96 legacy. That was a great car, but holy god, the most random things broke all the time. Stuff that never fails.

The poor new owner is still having issues with it. Full of gremlins.

Usually though, that's not the case.

Not with today's used car prices. I'd fix it. I should have done that with my '90 Leg. I sure miss that car. It handled better than my 2005.

That's weird, I don't have the option of sending you a PM either. Do you have it enabled in your account?

Not with today's used car prices. I'd fix it. I should have done that with my '90 Leg. I sure miss that car. It handled better than my 2005.

It was sure worth selling it for my $400 LGT....

• 4 weeks later...

Well a few swear words and about ten hours (including some breaks) later the new coupling is in. She drives well now with no more binding. The old one was defiantly a little burnt as you can see.

If I had to do it again it would probably be a three or four hour job having learned a bit. Those roll pins suck and aren't even worth trying to punch out by hand. The air hammer got them right out and next time I'll go right for it instead of wasting time doing it by hand. The same goes for getting the knuckle off. You can play with the stupid thing all day and it won't go anywhere but the air hammer knocks it right off.

I wasn't thinking straight and removed the reverse light sensor. I then spent half an hour trying to figure out why it wouldn't go into gear. Then I removed the whole cross member again and disconnected the linkage to isolate the problem. Only after I gave up an took a half hour break did I come back, look in the parts box and see that washer staring at me. That cost me over two hours from a stupid mistake.

The welds nuts on the transmission mount (I think that's where they were) broke on me. I couldn't find any suitable replacement nuts and bolts in my bolt bucket so to save a trip to the hardware store I re-welded them.

One of the transmission mount bolts also snapped off in the tranny. I didn't even bother with it and have three bolts in there. I'm going to have to drop the tranny to do the clutch in the next few months so I'll weld a nut to it and pull it out when the tranny is down.

Other then that it went pretty smoothly and I just took my time and kept everything organized. Some of the replies here and articles on this bored defiantly helped. And special thanks to GeneralDisorder for selling me the new center differential.

post-38672-136027649185_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tmb9862

Ah - excelent pictures. I've never seen one discolored that badly. Very informative. I always wondered what the outward signs of failure on one would be and I assumed it would be discolored from heat like that.

Incidentally - based on the color that it turned - we can assume the temps were approaching 300* Celcius which is around 575* F. No wonder the guts are cooked :rolleyes:.

GD

You sure that's not just metal paste stuck all over it? Manual transmissions tend to make alot of very fine particles that somehow find a way to seemingly super glue themselves to everything in the transmission. Takes a bit of scrubbing to get them all cleaned off.

That's crazy if it really got hot enough to burn itself. :eek: