Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all, new to the forum. Long time subaru lover, potentially first time owner. My brother has a 2.2 legacy that has had some light modding done (ngx adjustable suspention, tower bracing, cai, borla muffler, functional hood scoop, etc.) but the car is a 2.2 and is seriously lacking in the speed dept. I currently daily drive a 1997 camaro 3800 in the summer and the legacy angers me its so clunky feeling, but I am looking at buying it for the harsh winters here in MN.

I was wondering if doing an ecu tune would help at all with the power? If so, what kind of ecu can I get? If the ecu won't help, what are some other known options to just pick up the accel a little bit...besides laughing gas or forced induction...since those cost a fortune, or in the case of laughing gas can't be used every day all day.

Thanks guys

Edited by Schuy69

The best mod for the 2.2 is to drop in a 2.5 short block - retaining the 2.2 heads, intake, exhaust, etc. This results in a high-compression engine (around 10.8:1) and an increase from 135 HP to around 200 HP with proper attention to cams, exhaust, etc. The ECU does not have to be modified and will run the 2.5 high-comp (which we call the frankenmotor) without trouble.

It's also a relatively cheap modification - the first one I built cost around $700. $200 for a used (90k) EJ25D short block (the kid was doing a turbo swap), $160 for torque cams, $175 for head rebuild, and then misc. costs associated with gaskets, timing belt components, etc.

The one caveat is that you must run premium fuel due to the high compression. But it's a proven reliable build and easily the best option for a factory 2.2 platform.

GD

Alright well that would be definately something to look into in the long haul when the 2.2 is looking weak but its only got a 101k on it now and I don't wanna tear into it that deep just yet, any way to pull just a hair more power out of the block I already have?

Nope. Not really. Without increaseing displacement or thermal effeciency (compression/forced induction) any gains to be seen will be very minor and not worth the money they would cost. You can port/polish the heads till the cows come home and only get about 5 HP from it. With a non-turbo your options are limited to changing how the engine breathes and to do that you have to get into the internals.

101k is low - so sell the short block to offset the cost of the 2.5 :).

GD

you already have the header, and cams would help now. then, later, throw the whole works on a 2.5 block.

Your shifting patterns will determine how 'fast the car is' if you shift real early and never let the rpms past 2000, you are not going anywhere.

compared to 3800 engines and whatnot, the subaru has a large piston and a short rod, so it makes the best power mid rom, from 2000 to 5000 ideally, and 100-2500 cruising in town, and 2500-3000 on the highway

Yep, cams or you're retarded. All of those things your brother did are a joke compared to cams. Do them now, and do the 2.5 block when the stars align properly (i.e. you found a good 2.5 block for cheap, the 2.2 is giving up, you have spare time/money, etc.)

Jacob

Haha alright thanks guys, I will probably look into cams then, that is something I could tackle before winter hits while im still driving my camaro. I do have a 96 impreza 2.2 in the back that we have retired to a life as our backyard rally machine, engine has 212k but feels stronger than this legacy, might pull that engine and build it to drop in if that is all kosher.