Ultimate Subaru Message Board

About to buy the Ultimate RX

So, I'm finally biting the bullet and buying that car. Paying more then I should, but hey, its worth it. Only one thing really worries me...the engine will not stay running without constant application of the throttle for at least a good few minutes after startup, regardless of engine temperature or length of time since it was last run. Is this just an idle timing issue, or something more serious?

Edited by Logan K

the engine will not stay running without constant application of the throttle for at least a good few minutes after startup, regardless of engine temperature or length of time since it was last run. Is this just an idle timing issue, or something more serious?

No one but a previous owner of that car could give you an answer. It's highly custom and as such only the builder(s) will know enough to assist you. Talk to Tex.

GD

The idle issue is caused by the standalone not working well with the stock Subaru idle air control.

I never fixed it, I just got used to it. Lazyness does wonders, so do habits/routines.

I have good ideas on how to remedy the situation, and I'm willing to share them with you.

Email me: subarutex@gmail.com (only because the board is teh suck with database errors)

TEX: I actually talked to you about the car before...i dont know if you remember, but a week or two ago you came into Jimmy Johns, I was the cashier? I will get ahold of you once i get it...that leggy obx i had got involved in an unfortunate fender bender (not my fault), but the insurance company payed a pretty large amount to me since it was totalled, so im comfortable buying it, and ill still have a bit left over if there are any problems that need immediate attention. I will absolutely be in contact with you though once its mine (which should happen within the next week). And dont worry, I'm not like everyone else my age, I do know how to keep my foot off the gas, and I wont be sticking a giant wing on the back either. Its way to beautiful to ruin!

Good!

I see no harm in keeping your foot to the floor, as long as its responsibly.

I keep my foot to the floor most of the time in my car, drives me insane when I see people shifting their cars at 2500rpms, theres no time for exhaust to make noise and the (in my case) secondary in the carb to open up and suck fuel and rocket the car forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got it last friday. No offense if the previous owner (between Tex and I) is a board member, but I don't think he was exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. He never changed the oil in the entire time he owned the car (and was running it 2 quarts low), failed to notice he was missing a wheel stud for who knows how long, thought his bald tires still had good tread, and neglected to get it aligned even though you practically had to hold the steering wheel sideways for it to go straight, and drove it like this for over 10,000 miles. It also has slight lifter noise (probably due to buildup from lack of oil changes). Still, its a fun car, fast as hell, and gets amazingly good economy for an AWD turbo when you stay off the boost. I'm currently working on trying to pass emissions, it failed pretty spectacularly but since it is the last year that the test will be required I'll see if i can do what I did with my lifted GL and just get a waiver. Tex, I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind helping me out a bit, ill shoot you an email or PM right after I'm done with this.

Unfortunately I no longer have that gold badge for the back. I recently picked up another black RX that was in need of one:grin:

For the alignment, bring it by AWD Auto in Kirkland. I have specific specs that I have custom made for a 5-lugged RX like the Ultimate since I've done it to two of my RX's and my XT6

It can become a chore selling a one-off car to someone that can appreciate it. Someone can have mney, buy supposed one off car, but in the end it is disposable, because it is cheaper and older than a new car.

At least now the car passes into the hands of someone who can keep it's glory

I had my friend who is an alignment tech at Big-O tires help me work with it, its alot better but its still not quite perfect yet, after I get new tires I will be sure to make the trip down to Kirkland for that. Should I call and schedule an appointment or do you guys do drop-in's too?

take it to caboobaru because it is a conversion. he does a LOT of those alignments. friends are great but people who know the car through and through are better. Take that into account. and he will give you a discount too. you cannot set that car to stock subaru rx settings. :-\