Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starting an EA82 out of the car?

I have an EA82 hooked to a tranny on the ground. I would like to test this engine to make sure HGs are good and see if it runs good. I can hook the Radiator up with an electric fan so it wont overheat. I can also do a gravity feed gas line to the carb. What I need to know is how to hook the coil to to the disty and the battery to make it spark.

I'd definitely put it on some sort of frame to secure it.

As for the coil to dizzy, you just need to wire as it would be in the vehicle. Then give the coil a power lead to the battery. Best to fuse it.

To crank it over simply touch a positive wire from the positive terminal or the terminal at the starter over to the solenoid trigger wire.

I did this to test out my EJ before it went into my L series:

^ It was mounted on a frame for stability and it also helped with the mounting of the radiator.

Cheers

Bennie

I have the front cross member from the car to put the mounts in then bolted to railroad ties. positive or negative from coil to positive on the battery is what I need to know. Should the coil be grounded on the engine? I just want to be sure this engine is not going to over heat before I put it in the car from a bad HG because I know if its just a slight leak it really wont show on a compression test.

• 2 months later...

How did you go with this?

The wiring for the coil: copy what's been done in your subi or another non efi car... You should be fine grounding to the engine as the negative of the battery will have a thick battery cable going to the engine/gearbox for cranking as it is in every vehicle.

Cheers

Bennie