Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DIY oil catch can

Anyone make their own oil catch can? I'm thinking of welding one up on my EA82T. I have a bit of oil on cold start and I think it's blowby that's accumulating in the intercooler. Could be the turbo seal too but the catch can is probably not a bad idea with my 170k miles.

Let's see some pics.

Edited by presslab

• 5 weeks later...

Stainless steel spice pots, a couple of 3M cloths and some brass plumbing fittings.

These aren't so much catch cans. More like coarse oil filters. I have only just done this so I will keep you posted on how fast they clog up.

With luck, the left side will stay clean (drawing in fresh air) but I stuspect the right side will clog reletively faster since it is drawing blow by back in through the engine. We shall see.P1010010.jpgP1010009.jpgP1010008.jpg

Mine is more of an oil/condensate separator. It's really just a prego jar in-line before the PCV valve. I usually capture about 2 oz of oil per oil change. Most of what is in there is water which evaporates out of the oil. It's caused by the same effect which makes water condense in an air compressor. As it cools water turns back into liquid...

CIMG3416.JPG

Stainless steel spice pots, a couple of 3M cloths and some brass plumbing fittings.

These aren't so much catch cans. More like coarse oil filters. I have only just done this so I will keep you posted on how fast they clog up.

With luck, the left side will stay clean (drawing in fresh air) but I stuspect the right side will clog reletively faster since it is drawing blow by back in through the engine. We shall see.P1010010.jpgP1010009.jpgP1010008.jpg

DAMN! That engine looks CLEAN!!! 1.6?same with the tranny. im digging those valve covers too, :slobber:wheww! lets see the rest of the car

DAMN! That engine looks CLEAN!!! 1.6?same with the tranny. im digging those valve covers too, :slobber:wheww! lets see the rest of the car

Thanks. Yeah, 1600 EA71.

No new pics at the moment. Other than the engine bay the rest of the car is looking very neglected.

Have a look at these though.

http://s804.photobucket.com/albums/yy327/Dirk27/Green%20Machine/