Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyway, you're right, in general the 2.5L SOHC is not a crappy engine. It's an engine, that like any engine, has several flaws. However, I would prefer that Subaru address those flaws through redesign and not through the expediency of requiring me to install a proprietory stop leak.

They have been addressing the issue through redesigned gaskets. Some of the issue here is not just Subaru - this has been an industry wide trend over the last decade or more. One of the problems is that Subaru doesn't make gaskets themselves (most automaker's don't) - they rely on a gasket supplier to build them and it's a give and take process.

One issue here is the *perception* on the part of joe-public that Subaru has had "head gasket problems" since the introduction of the 2.5..... which while technically true doesn't convey the whole situation. To wit:

1. The EJ25D had problems with the combustion gas ring on the head gasket sealing to the block. This was because the cylinder walls were made thinner on the 2.5 when they bored and stroked the 2.2 to get the higher displacement. This problem was eventually solved with MLS gaskets.

2. The EJ253 and EJ251 use a gasket that is a single layer of thin metal upon which is a "glue" type of compound. It was found that this glue can wash away from the metal and cause seepage of both oil and coolant. The combustion gasses are no longer a problem because they solved that in the EJ25D. This problem with the seepage was also solved with a revised head gasket.

3. Not all stop leak products are made the same. The stuff Subaru uses is very fine and does not clog radiators and heater cores if used properly. People continue to SPECULATE about this possibility yet not a single reliable source has yet shown this to be a problem. Literally 10's of thousands of Subaru's are running around with one or possibly two bottles of the stuff in their cooling systems and having another bottle added each time they are flushed and refilled..... yet no examples of heater core or radiator clogging have been shown to be related to this product. Subaru deems it safe..... in my experience (I was skeptical at first) they are correct. I don't see a problem with it. As a stop-gap solution to replaceing the head gaskets it's a no-brainer. $3 for many tens of thousands of miles....

4. There are alternatives to paying the dealer to do head gaskets at their rediculous prices and their terrible policys on doing them in the car. I typically can do a head gasket job for about $600 parts and labor..... usually it ends up being closer to $1000 because people wisely replace timing components and other wear items while the engine is out.

GD

I don't use the stuff till I see external seepage. I haven't had a single gasket failure on any Subaru engine I've done gasket replacement on. I always use Subaru gaskets of the latest availible revision and I install them 100% dry on surfaces that are smooth, flat, clean, and prepared with lacquer thinner.

GD

Thank you.

O.

• 3 years later...

the conditioner is recommended for these engines, before and / or after head gasket replacement. that is one reason subaru calls it a ''conditioner'' and not stop leak or ''radweld''. it sounds more like a ''helper'' than a hole plugger.

I don't think so...my '98 OBW developed a real crack in the plastic housing of the radiator (after my Dad took it over and he puts lots and lots of hard miles on it).  It would spew out copious amounts of coolant.  I had some original coolant which I saved from my '01 Forester that has the Radweld equivalent added.  After topping off a few times the crack was totally sealed and now it doesn't leak any coolant at all.

Those additives are good for something...you just have to know which one to apply IHMO.

--Damien