Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL Wagon Wont Start - But Did a Year Ago!

I have an 86 GL wagon that has sat for a year or so (so I could replace a ruptured heater hose - yes, I ran her hot). It did run as needed after getting it in my driveway for a couple of months.

The car runs on ether pretty nicely. My gas tank was empty while sitting, I added about 4 gallons. I have fuel at the fuel line going to the carb and I even ran a couple of cups of fuel out of the line to be sure there was no stale gas in the line. The pump DOES run, the filter is OLD. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge.

I'm guessing that since the car runs on ether, my plugs are OK. I pulled one and it was NOT wet. I checked it and it was sparking outside of the engine I wonder if something in my carb is blocked somehow from sitting so long. I sprayed the carb all over with carb cleaner including spraying it in the gas inlet. I used my air compressor to blow air through the little "bowl" in the carb and it seemed to pull gas because it was blowing gas back over everywhere....

Air - Fire - Timing - FUEL...?

Will try changing the fuel filter and see what that does - any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance guys!!

Well it apears that its getting fuel to the carb it just not getting past the carb and into the intake. I you can keep trying to run carb cleaner through it and perhaps some sea foam would help as well or if you wanna do it the right way dissasmble the carb and get all the gunk out.

I happen to have an almost new carb from an EA81 just sitting hear - it appears very similar - I'll have to check part numbers, but I wonder if a swap is in order?

What part of the carb in particular am I looking at cleaning out? (guessing that it has gotten gunked up since it ran just fine previously...)

I also have a rebuild kit around somewhere for an EA81 Carb.....

(OK - just checked - the carbs are for sure different!!!!)

Thanks!

Edited by jsupafly
ran out for a quick check...

You think just the sitting did me in? The car had been fairly immaculately maintained before I got it - nicest soobie yet! hehe

Is there a way to clean any part of the carb without pulling it completely apart?

The last time I pulled a carb apart, the vacuum hoses totally kicked my behind.... and that was with pictures - man!

I understand going with a weber is the most best long term solution. I will either put A/C in this car or replace it with an outback very soon...but want to give it away running at least...

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replace the filter first.

When carbs sit with gas in them the gas evaporates and leaves behind a dry varnish type gunk. It also drys out the seals and gaskets after it evaporates. Try putting some sea foam into the fuel inlet using a piece of gas line and a small funnel pushed into the gas hose. Let it sit overnight that might clean it enough for it to run. Also put some sea foam into the gas tank.