Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Hitachi to Weber conversion question...

So here's the deal. A company on eBay says it has Hitachi-to-Weber conversion kits for carbureted late-80s EA82s. Sounds good, but do the Webers really give you added power AND fuel economy? Power isn't really a concern, but fuel economy is. Will a Weber give me better mpgs, or will the extra ponies it gives me be thirsty ones?

The car is registered in California (and may have to register it in New York or some other smog-testing place before too long), so it has to get smogged every couple of years. I don't mind hanging on to the Hitachi as long as redoing all the vacuum lines and electrical connections isn't too much of a hassle.

Here's the link to their site: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-1985-1987-1-8L-OHC-EA82-Weber-Carb-Conversion-/270770060261?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru&hash=item3f0b273be5#ht_3623wt_1165

Ideas?

No - it will not get better mileage than a properly operating Hitachi. If that is your primary concern then don't bother. It will get the same or perhaps 0.5 to 1 MPG less than the Hitachi - possibly a bit more than than if you have a feedback computer controlled Hitachi. One of the reasons for this is precisely because it's so small and ends up being a bottleneck against hard acceleration even with the pedal floored, etc.

Personally I feel the Hitachi's are dangerously slow. I eliminate them immediately because otherwise I'll get run over by a logging truck.

The best mileage for your engine would be acheived by swapping over to the Single Point Fuel Injection (SPFI) found on later model GL's and Loyale's. This will add power and will increase fuel effeciency and really doesn't cost much more than a Weber if you shop around for the part. It also has the added benefit that if you do it properly it can be smogged in CA simply by having a smog ref check it out and list it as an engine swap from an '89 GL. Then you don't have to mess with swapping back and forth to get your tags.

GD