Ultimate Subaru Message Board

whenever I drive foot off the brake, about 5-10 mph I hear a an inconsistent metal sliding sound where it's light and then it gets a little louder every rotation..

these are new pads on resurfaced rotors and it hasn't been driven on the road yet but it worries me..

I usually get some slight sound right after brake replacement. Could be a problem could be nothing.

Hasn't been driven on the road? I would get it up to a little more speed and give it some good pressure on the pedal a couple of times. If there is vibration one or both rotors are warped or incorrectly resurfaced. If the noise doesnt go away after a couple of good stops then sounds like the pins are not gliding like they should (you used grease and checked their condition right) or that the caliper may not be releasing. Could also be the dust shield hitting the rotor.

my vote is with nipper. drive it out. if it persists after a week or 2, then more trouble shooting.

it very well could be a dust shield got slightly bent, and is rubbing(happened to me)

i always notice a noise that you describe, under the situation you have described, but it goes away after a hundred or so miles

danbennett2u was right, it was the dust shield of a foreign spindle, hammered it out and all was well..

then I had a slight squeak from the same area but like gratefuldude said, it seemed to go away after a little driving..

hoping that I can get the speedometer cable to work! I can't get it smogged unless it does cause it causes the engine light..

danbennett2u was right, it was the dust shield of a foreign spindle, hammered it out and all was well..

then I had a slight squeak from the same area but like gratefuldude said, it seemed to go away after a little driving..

hoping that I can get the speedometer cable to work! I can't get it smogged unless it does cause it causes the engine light..

Cable? There is no cable. Have the code read then share the numbers with us. Does your spedo work?

Auto or manual.

mine is cable driven, it's a 96 impreza.. finally got it in by taking the small rubber washer off and it works but.. not sure if that was important.. hope I can get it in right after the smog or something..

Really, how bizzare, maybe it is an imp thing