Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Outback Sport custom exhaust...

My 99 Outback Sport runs so smooth and quiet, that it is sometimes hard to tell if it's running or not (ha-ha). I also have a used 03 WRX wagon (which I'm selling soon) that came with a BBP custom exhaust that I love the sound of (thing sounds like a race car). I am wondering if a similar exhaust system can be put onto my Sport? I spoke with a muffler guy last year and he said it is best to cut out the catalytic converter for better gas mileage!!! Is that information correct? Any advice on a cool sounding exhaust, average cost and how the job should be done is really appreciated.

Thanks

Removing the cat is a bad idea. It won't improve the millage. Doing so would add air pollution, and if you live in an area where e-check is done, your car would not pass e-check. Also, if a shop removed your cat, they are leaving themselves open for a large $ fine.

You may be able to swap exhaust systems from your WRX to your OBS. Something to think about.

The best way to get some rumble would be to have an unequal length header built for your car. And then to have a factory WRX cat back modified to fit. That should give it some more of the sound you're looking for

This.

The "boxer rumble" comes from unequal-length headers. Most newer-gen Subarus that are non-turbo come with equal-length headers instead, making them sound more like "normal" 4-cylinder engines.

Unequal-length headers plus new exhaust will probably get the sound you want.

A WRX exhaust takes a little modification to fit onto anything else. I just modified one to fit on a '02 Impreza TS. It really did not add any noticable tone to it. That's with everything stock in front of the midpipe. The only problems are, the WRX midpipe is too short and needs to be lengthened about 3.5in, and the flange in the front needs to be turned to fit on the cat pipe. (If you hold it up, the flanges are opposite of each other. But it's no problem at all once you cut that part off to lengthen it.