Ultimate Subaru Message Board

After having the head gaskets done a couple of weeks ago on my sons just purchased 99 legacy SUS Limited the inevitable happened, the CEL came on and sure enough it was an O2 sensor code. Well just having been tapped out on the HG job we decided to tackle the job ourselves with the help provided here on the USMB. After several failed attempts with an adjustable wrench, an o2 socket, which broke btw, we decided to drop the front exhaust system. Since the head gaskets had just been done and flange replaced between the cats every bolt came out easily. Still with the exhaust out and the 02 sensor out and accessable it still proved to be a *%$#@. Finally after heat, penetrating oil, sweat and finally vise grips it loosened up and came out. I was surprised to see that it was a Bosch indicating to me that it may have been changed before. Ive got my fingers crossed that the CEL will stay off now and we can move onto the next project, the rear wheel bearings. Michigan Subies are so much FUN!!

Sorry; to hear that removing your 02 sensor was a bi#ch. With much heat and time that can happen. I will be installing an 02 sensor soon in my 99 OBW. I am hoping to fare better then you.

Pull your battery cable off, wait about 10 minutes to reinstall the battery cable. Your CEL should be reset to off.

We tried the simple fix first which was to reset the CEL but it came back again within a few miles so rather then pay 2 to 300 dollars to have a shop do it we tried it ourselves. Being in Indianapolis you probably dont have the snow and salt we encounter up here, hopefully it will be a breeze for you. Weve driven it on a few errands and so far no CEL. Just for the record ive driven my 2000 Legacy for 4 yrs now with the CEL on for a 420 code and my wifes 97 Impreza has a light on for a MAF sensor code even after it was replaced.