Ultimate Subaru Message Board

105k, for all engines starting in 99.

the maintenance schedule at cars101.com says the 99 ej22 is a 60k belt unless it is a cali. car. (00 - 09 are all 105k.) but i'm pretty sure all phase 2 engines are 105k. it was / is simpler to list 99 with the rest of the decade rather than making a special listing.

Just did a timing belt job on an 01 RS. The kit was the way to go although we ran into problems with the fitment on the tensioner pulley. The pulley included did not fit, so we ended up getting a new tensioner. Just something that you may run into.

Just did a timing belt job on an 01 RS. The kit was the way to go although we ran into problems with the fitment on the tensioner pulley. The pulley included did not fit, so we ended up getting a new tensioner. Just something that you may run into.

provided you squeeze down the tensioner first....

a new one will come pre-loaded with a pin to pull after installation

Thanks for the reply with a 99, then it is 60K miles. I know about changing the pulleys, front seals, and water pump, when the TB is changed. Prolly buy a kit from ebay. I have read that is the way to go.

OR 105 months. 1999 -2009 12 months 120 months you are way over due.

OR 105 months. 1999 -2009 12 months 120 months you are way over due.

Not so over due...................

I had TB changed in 2005 when I bought the 99 used. I didn't know the history on the TB, so it was best to change it. Also swapped out, were the water pump, and front seals. Unfortunately, I had not joined USMB to learn that I should have had the pulleys replaced as well. So 6 years later, and 55K miles, I think it is time to swap out the above. The car now has 188K on the odo. I am thinking the pulleys are all original. It scares me to think what happens to the valves, if a pulley locks up. I just ordered the full TB kit from ebay. My mechanic lets me bring him parts to do the job.

Not so over due...................

I had TB changed in 2005 when I bought the 99 used. I didn't know the history on the TB, so it was best to change it. Also swapped out, were the water pump, and front seals. Unfortunately, I had not joined USMB to learn that I should have had the pulleys replaced as well. So 6 years later, and 55K miles, I think it is time to swap out the above. The car now has 188K on the odo. I am thinking the pulleys are all original. It scares me to think what happens to the valves, if a pulley locks up. I just ordered the full TB kit from ebay. My mechanic lets me bring him parts to do the job.

ah ok.

pullies meaning idlers?

(2002 Forester 2.5MT)

How important is the time limit (105-months)?

I am at 100,000 miles, and I am getting ready to do the timing-belt (and idlers, water pump, etc.).

But I am also at 115-months (i.e past the 105-months limit).

Should I be concerned that I am over the time limit?

(2002 Forester 2.5MT)

How important is the time limit (105-months)?

I am at 100,000 miles, and I am getting ready to do the timing-belt (and idlers, water pump, etc.).

But I am also at 115-months (i.e past the 105-months limit).

Should I be concerned that I am over the time limit?

If it were me, I don't think I would wait much longer. Yea, your belt will prolly last another 5K miles. It is how much do you want to gamble that the TB won't break?