Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad slave cylinder can feel like slipping clutch?

Usually not - usually they just won't disengage properly or the pedal snaps to the floor and won't come back up.

GD

This is were I get confused.. if it's say stuck to the floor how is it that the clutch is engaged?

I'm pretty sure it's the slave cylinder related sometimes it happens sometimes not. when shifting from 3rd to 4th on the highway it's slow to release and grab and the rpms make that known..

I've tried the 4th gear trick

WHen the clutch pressed to floor pressurized fluid moves through the system and moves the presure plate to disenage the clutch disc and disconnect the transmission from the engine.

An engaged clutch the pressure plate is pressing against the clutch disc and power is sent to the transmission.

A clutch pedal on the floor with no clutch disengagement will be due to a failure of hydraulic system.

This would make it impossible to get into gear while the car is running.

WHen the clutch pressed to floor pressurized fluid moves through the system and moves the presure plate to disenage the clutch disc and disconnect the transmission from the engine.

An engaged clutch the pressure plate is pressing against the clutch disc and power is sent to the transmission.

A clutch pedal on the floor with no clutch disengagement will be due to a failure of hydraulic system.

This would make it impossible to get into gear while the car is running.

I've never had it impossible to get in gear while the car is running

A bad slave will not cause slipping. If it's slipping then the clutch is bad.

The pedal sticks to the floor when there is air in the system. It's a complex little system actually and hard to describe. After you have bled a few and changed enough slaves you get a "feeling" for how they work..... but your problem is not the slave.

GD