Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone in Denver/ish want to make some cash? Looking to swap in a 5dr.

I am in Denver, CO, US. After much ado this winter with registration and repairs, I have a few bucks and want to move on getting a dual-range 5 speed swapped in. I currently have a push button 5sp.

The pull-n-pays have several of varying ages, styles, and mileage, but I don't have a lift or any way to get the tranny out of the donor car. I'm willing to help, and have a small bag of tools (box end, ratchets, torque wrench, breaker bar, etc), just can't do it myself.

Pull-n-pay said their mechanic can get it out for an additional $100 for me, which I *may* do, but I would as soon put a dollar (or $99) in a neighbor's pocket--plus, having no way to get the tranny out means I also have no way to get it INTO my car...if you can do both I would be happy to throw in some cash and beer.

I am also considering having it rebuilt, but I don't expect anyone to do that for me, though if you can/know someone who can that would be great, too.

The pull-n-pays have several of varying ages, styles, and mileage, but I don't have a lift or any way to get the tranny out of the donor car. I'm willing to help, and have a small bag of tools (box end, ratchets, torque wrench, breaker bar, etc), just can't do it myself.

You don't need a lift and most yards will have the cars high enough to drop a tranny or will roll it on it's side with a forklift, etc.... usually if you just talk to them they can make it accesible for you.

Pull-n-pay said their mechanic can get it out for an additional $100 for me, which I *may* do, but I would as soon put a dollar (or $99) in a neighbor's pocket--plus, having no way to get the tranny out means I also have no way to get it INTO my car...if you can do both I would be happy to throw in some cash and beer.

You don't need a lift to put one in. Just a jack and something to jack the car up onto (6 ton jack stands are inexpensive at Harbor Freight).

I am also considering having it rebuilt, but I don't expect anyone to do that for me, though if you can/know someone who can that would be great, too.

Prohibitively expensive. Minimum of $1000 to rebuild one and typically it's more like $1500. The parts alone will be around $800 typically. To rebuild a transmission you need at LEAST a press, proper bearing splitters, etc. Besides normal hand tools of course. The good news is that the D/R transmissions typically last the life of the car - not unusual for them to last half a million miles without failure. If they aren't abused and someone changes the gear oil every 100k or so.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

As for the putting it in part, my apartment only has street parking. I've done a lot parked on the street--timing belts, distributor, clutch (engine forward), engine swap (well, tore it out, shoulda put it in, too but got a 24 hour tow threat so I towed it to the garage), exhaust, fuel pump...

Not sure I'm ready to go after a tranny swap on the street, though. Would need someone to put it in, and if not I'll find a shop in town.

I have suspected the trannies are built to last, I will probably skip the rebuild. The push button one works fine, but I want the d/r as I am building this into something for ghost towning and other similar adventures, and want the added benefits of the d/r for the times it's needed. I don't have the equipment to do the rebuild (or a place). Mine has over 200k and doesn't bat an eye, even when I slid on ice and jammed up the wheel for a few weeks (it was up in the fender, hard. Had to put the donut in to get her home). As long as the transmission isn't the reason the car is at the yard...should be ok, yeah?

Also: the XT d/r is 4 hi/low, right? not just fwd/4wd? It had three positions, but unlike the d/r machines I've seen in GLs and DLs, etc, the XT select lever is not labeled (on the one I saw), but has three positions I assume are 2/4/4low. I really like that set up vs the other ones if it will work :).

Edited by man on the moon