Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping complete air condition (Legacy I)

There's an AT Legacy (1991 - EJ22) with air condition at the local junkyard. Is it possible to put the air condition in my 1991 EJ22 Legacy MT without problems? To speak: Are there already all necessary cables and connectors or would I have to mess around with the wiring harness?

And could you please give me a complete list of the air condition parts so that I won't forget anything?

My junkyard operator wants 80 Euro (about 115 US$) from me and I can put out everything which is associated with the air condition. Good deal in my eyes, but he doubts that the compressor still works, he says that if it's drained for some while it will be stiffened. Can anyone confirm this and how can I test the compressor if it still works?

Since I found the necessary cable for the compressor at my car, I guess the the whole cables will be there. Is there some kind of control unit or how is the ac electrically operated? Thanks! :)

You would be much better off getting a system from a '93 or '94 because they are already setup for R134A. The 90 through 92 cars used R12 and their hoses, etc are not rated for R134A.

If you are saying your Legacy never had AC..... you are going to have to pull the dash to install the evaporator, it's plastic container, and the condensate drain.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

That old problem... Never think of it...

The problem is that I don't really have a choice: That one at the junkyard is the first Legacy 1 with ac I ever saw here in Germany :(

I don't know how old it is, it could be already 1993 or 1994, I have to check that. But I think that the ac-system perhaps is already converted to R134a or R 413a since you can't buy R12 in Germany since the beginning of the 1990ies and imho it's very likely that the ac was refilled in the last 20 years (and therefore was then converted). But I will have a closer look before I pull it out...

If it's not converted, what must be replaced? Just hoses and gaskets?

Isn't it possible to install the evaporator without removing the whole dash? That would make the whole job "a bit" less nasty... :( Hmm... Are there any technical documents about that ac-system? Unfortunately my parts of the EJ22 repair manual doesn't cover the air condition part.

You need to remove the dash to install the evap. No way around that one.

I just did the conversion to r134a. I have a 90' lego that the AC wasn't working when I got it, and just did the retrofit to r134a this last weekend. Works great! Replaced the drier and all the orings, add the new oil, and topped it off with r134a. Blows nice and cool now. So if your only option is to use the older stuff, go for it, it should work with very few problems.

The one thing I would recommend is after installing it all, put it under a vacuum, and put nitrogen in the system to pressurize it as well. This way you can check for leaks before adding the refrigerant.

For what you are wanting to do, do not worry too much if the system you are looking at in the junkyard it has been converted or not.

You'll want to put new o-rings and gaskets anyway, and probably replace the drier.

The BIG issue surrounding conversion is the oil. R12 oil is NOT compatible with R134a refrigerant.

In an AC system, the oil must be in suspension in the refrigerant to circulate and lubricate the compressor.

In the old R12 systems, this oil is mineral based.

However, with a R134a system, mineral oil will not combine with the refrigerant, causing it to puddle, and the compressor will eventually oil starve and fail.

R134a systems use PAG oil.

So for conversions, the main thing is to evacuate the system of the old mineral oil, which you'd do anyway, replace the drier and o-rings and gaskets, and fill it with appropriate amount of PAG oil and charge with R134a.

The hard part, already mentioned, is retrofitting the evaporator and controls. A lot of work, but it can be done.

Good luck. :)

That old problem... Never think of it...

The problem is that I don't really have a choice: That one at the junkyard is the first Legacy 1 with ac I ever saw here in Germany :(

I don't know how old it is, it could be already 1993 or 1994, I have to check that. But I think that the ac-system perhaps is already converted to R134a or R 413a since you can't buy R12 in Germany since the beginning of the 1990ies and imho it's very likely that the ac was refilled in the last 20 years (and therefore was then converted). But I will have a closer look before I pull it out...

If it's not converted, what must be replaced? Just hoses and gaskets?

Isn't it possible to install the evaporator without removing the whole dash? That would make the whole job "a bit" less nasty... :( Hmm... Are there any technical documents about that ac-system? Unfortunately my parts of the EJ22 repair manual doesn't cover the air condition part.

that sounds right out of the textbook from lincoln tech:lol: ( I KNOW I graduated from there) :)

dont drain the compressor. I have never drained any compressor in a conversion. the r-12 oil is inert to the system and won't leave the compressor! Just add R-134 oil accordingly after you vacuum the system down.

protect the compressor, don't let any dirt get in there and keep it upright. then replace EVERY o ring with the green/yellow 134 safe o rings. replace the drier with a 143 compatible drier and orifice tube with a 134 orifice tube

:)