Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey gang -- you've always been so helpful in the past, hope you might be able to help me again :)

I have an 05 Legacy (not GT) and it's got 235K on it...I've had the head gaskets recently replaced and all the hoses, etc...I've maintained this car to the fullest! I am using Mobil 1 Ext Perf oil and somewhere I am seriously losing oil! Took it in to my shop where I've always had my work done (where hubby previously worked) and there is no sign of any leakage. I've started a log to see how often I need to add oil so I am not sure at what rate I am losing it, but it seems to be about a quart every 2 weeks or so (I'm driving about 500-600 miles a week), best estimate.

Any suggestions? As you know that oil isn't cheap! and i'd really like to find out what the problem is and I know if anyone would know it would be you guys! Thanks in advance.:-\

Using a quart of oil every 1,000-1,200 miles on a motor with 235K miles on it, sounds pretty normal. With that many miles, there is engine wear, and wear on the piston rings in particular that lets more oil then normal get burned in the engine along with the gasoline.

You may want to replace the PCV valve. It is possible that it is clogged, and that adds to oil consumption. It is a simple, cheap, and easy part to replace.

Using a quart of oil every 1,000-1,200 miles on a motor with 235K miles on it, sounds pretty normal. With that many miles, there is engine wear, and wear on the piston rings in particular that lets more oil then normal get burned in the engine along with the gasoline.

You may want to replace the PCV valve. It is possible that it is clogged, and that adds to oil consumption. It is a simple, cheap, and easy part to replace.

PCV valves and all related tubes fill up with oil over time and clog up, leading to excessive oil consumption. Quickest, easiest, and cheapest place to start. Take out the PCV valve and all the tubing and clean one by one and I bet you see improvement.

So since its not a GT, then its a SOHC 2.5. When they did the headgaskets, did they have the heads sent out and checked that the valve seats aren't leaking? Its a common issue on the SOHC 2.5 engines. I replaced an engine from a '05 Outback with the same engine and same issue. Perform a compression test and a leak down test and it'll tell you whats really going on.

235 thousand miles is normal for a subaru to last that long. Using the oil is going to be due to cam seals and other seals leaking, especially the breather plate on the back of the crankcase.

you can go ahead and plan or a bottom end rebuild, buy tou wil be disappointed to see the cylinders still have crosshatches in their bores. The bottom ends just don't wear out on these engines.

do the engine seals and get another 100,000 or more miles.

The obove opinions may be expected of something that is NOT a subaru, but 'conventional' wisdom seldom applies the same way to soobs.

mine has 188k on it and consumes about that. about a quart every 1200 miles but i drive hard. although, on your next oil change, substitute a quart of oil for a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. my friend's Saturn (old smokey) went from a mosquito fogging quart every 400 miles to a quart every 1000 miles and no "visible" smoke. same with my first 1993 legacy that had 245k miles. it almost used NO oil after Lucas. :)

Nobody is saying 235k is end of life for the engine.... Just that it is normal to burn some amount of oil at that mileage, Subaru or not.

The amount you are going through may be a little high though, especially if this got worse in an "all of a sudden" manner. Has this been a problem for a while, or did you start to notice it was going through oil at this rate when it didnt use much or any before?

Like others said make sure your PCV is good, having poor crankcase ventilation will increase consumption.

change to a different brand oil, Castrol, Valvoline.....etc.

I have read on other forums that the subaru and mobil 1 are not the best combo. You can search over on nasioc and come up with many opinions, but i do know for fact others noted mobil 1 disappears as well.

No first hand experience on that, but I run castrol and wll choose it.

Thanks everyone -- going to change out the PCV valve...hubby looked and didn't find it...anyone have any suggestions?

Not positive on newer models but the PCV threads into the intake manifold just to the passenger side of center on mine. Probably have to remove some decorative plastic trim to see it. Anyone with a newer EJ25 able to help OP out with location more definitively?

This is why i am very leary of headgasket jobs on high mileage engines. Depending what was done (machined/valve job) it can actually restore or increase compression just enough to anger some well used piston rings.

Using that much oil you should be smoking if you are burning it. Maybe the automatic subaru anti rust system has been activated and you have a leak(s) as well.

Were Subaru valve cover seals used?

Was the engine removed or was it done in the car.

Have someone drive behind you and look for smoke.

What seals were replaced with the head gaskets?

2001 Forester 107k miles.

Burning about a quart every 4k miles.

:banana:

Blu 1997 OUtback 300K no oil use :)

1 qt every 4K is almost normal use. Your not burning it in the traditional sense. The oil is used to cool the pistons and vaporizes. This varies with engine, driving, tides, moon phase.

If they lapped the valves when they fixed the HG, then it will burn excess oil. Common mistake to put new heads on an old engine. The tighter valves create more suction in the cylinder and that pulls oil up from the crankcase, and burns it.

Edited by uniberp

Hubby changed the PCV valve tonight. It was on the passenger side of the engine near the rear, under the coil pack. Used a 3/4" deep socket and extension and it came right out. Be careful with the hose, lube it before you stick it back on so you don't crack it. With 236K on the car, the valve was still seating but very gummed up. Hope that helps US and someone else with the same trouble!! Take care guys, thanks for the help.

Nobody has asked so far if it's burning it or leaking it. If it's leaking, you'll see it on stuff underneath. If that's the case, you can identify the leaky part and go from there. If it's burning it, then all of the above apply.

i did i did i did!