Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering wheel sticking every half rotation

Sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn't really find exactly what I was looking for.

I don't drive my 89 GL very often, maybe once every week or two. Yesterday I took it out for a drive for the first time in over a week and a half. Nothing was wrong with it then.

But now, the steering wheel sticks every half turn, pretty bad. It won't turn back by itself after going around a corner, I almost have to force it around. It got better with some driving, but it's still there.

Power steering fluid is a fine level/colour, the pump turns freely, no bearing noise, no play in the pully, no leaking, etc.

The steering rack boots aren't torn and the tie rod ends are nice and tight.

All I can think is it has something to do with the linkage/u-joint. Or maybe the struts binding when turning?? It does it when not moving too, so I don't think it could be an axle.... But I'd like some input before I go throwing parts at it.

Thanks much.

G'day 987687

Have a mate turn the steering wheel while you check out the knuckles on the end of the steering column in the engine bay. If one of these is cactus you'll need to replace it as it could be causing the binding at every half turn.

Cheers

Bennie

So I answered my own question. Got the sucker out. Amazingly, not rusted in there at all! I let it soak a few hours. Then the bolts came out, no battle. I used a chizel to span the collars, then just hammered it right off. I was amazed at how easy it was... Anyway, the joint is very bad, one is really sticky, the other is completely loose.

if you end up needing a steering joint i have one i can sell you on the cheep

Cheers R.

You have a PM incoming, thank you!

Sorry if the message sent twice, I'm having weird issues with the forum...

Edited by 987687