Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a question about A/C system. I bought a 00 legacy and the ac does not work, just warm air. I do not hear the compressor kick on, I think the freon is just too low. Talked to the original owners that are friends of ours, they never used the A/C she said they never even turned it on. They bought it with 23 k. Anyways...

After running the car, I took the cap off the fill port and can see a leak in the valve. Small bubbles are visible. I have to believe the system is still slightly pressurized, but very low. I have replacement valves and a green oring kit.

Do I just slowly release what is in the system in to the air, or take it to have it vacuumed out. I know what everyone will say, but I will burn at least a gallon of gas to get to the ac shop. That has to be worse.

Once the system is empty, what orings should be changed? While the system is empty what else should I do before taking it to be charged? Any tips, warnings,or no no's or advice is welcome.

Common issues with Subaru system?

Also, is there a way to jump the wiring for the compressor to make sure it will engage?

Thanks,

Geo

Edited by Rpm90001

If you can see the valve leaking, tighten the valve and refill it.

That's what I just did, snugged it down, added a little soapy water and no leak. Added a can of 134a just till the line stayed cold and that took 1 can. I got super ice cold air. Took it for a ride and wow... I will be very happy if that was the only leak. I see no green any place accept in the valve. I have to bet is still a littl low, but I will wait to see if it lasts, than I will have it checked to see if it needs more. It's working great now, I'm not going to mess with it.

That's what I just did, snugged it down, added a little soapy water and no leak. Added a can of 134a just till the line stayed cold and that took 1 can. I got super ice cold air. Took it for a ride and wow... I will be very happy if that was the only leak. I see no green any place accept in the valve. I have to bet is still a littl low, but I will wait to see if it lasts, than I will have it checked to see if it needs more. It's working great now, I'm not going to mess with it.

If the 134a leaks out, it is a good bet that the o rings for the inlet and outlet connections have gone bad. I replaced mine, and no more leaks. It is very easy to replace those two o rings.