Ultimate Subaru Message Board

We own a 2000 Legacy with an automatic and 265k. One morning the car had a terrible miss after driving fine the previous day. I figured out it was a coil so I bought one at a salvage yard and the car seemed to drive fine on my test drive through town. On a trip to a nearby town, however, the car had an occasional miss after we had driven about 15 miles. The car seems to idle fine but when a load is put on it, it miss fires. I had a previous check engine light that said I had a oxy sensor and knock sensor problem so I replaced those. The miss was still there and while trying out the car in the driveway I got a flashing check engine light. When I checked it, it said I had a miss fire in cylinder #2. I replaced the plug wires and plugs. It seemed to fix the problem that night but the next morning the problem was back. I also replaced the cam shaft position sensor and, again, it seemed to fix it but after a 10 mile drive the problem came back. :mad: I thought it might be a bad coil but, when I switched coils from my daughters '99 Legacy, which had the same part number, the miss was still there.:mad::mad: I'm wondering if this is something a bad crank sensor might do or is there something else I'm missing? Thanks mucho much for any help!!!!

Yes, I replaced those, and the plugs, with new and it seemed to fix the problem until I took a short drive, then it came back. It now does it right away even when it's cold. I'm wondering if crank sensors will cause a problem like this? It doesn't seem right to me...

To test your plug wires...........

Wait until dark, then using a squirt gun, or Windex bottle, spray water or glass cleaner onto your plug wires. If the plug wires are shorting out, you ought to be able to see arcing sparks in the dark, and hear electrical snapping sounds. Use a flashlight to see where to spray, and later to pin point the arcing sparks, if there any.