Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Failed first NYS inspection. Strut/spring question

Well, the streak had to end. 25 years without ever failing a NYS inspection...I took my legacy in for inspection and it failed for a broken right front spring. I always do my own inspection before taking a car in, but I was confidant there was no problem. Car rides very nice and sits level. Anyways.. Anyone have any recomendations... I can just change the 2 front springs and call it good... Or just replace everything. I believe them to be original, but changing all 4 corners with springs and struts is going to be some serious money, and it is a great ride now. If I change everything, does anyone make a drop in unit, or do I have to order springs and struts separate? Looking for a soft ride, this is 100% daily driver. Want oem stance and ride.

2 oem springs $66 if I go with the the 2 springs, do another parts normally need to be replaced when changing just springs?

Thanks,

Geo

Edited by Rpm90001

I would just replace the broken spring and strut and see how it looks and rides. You can always do the other corners later.

That my plan for now. Should I replace anything elese while it's apart? Do the strut mounts normally go bad? Or bearings in the mount? I'm going to order from fredbeans tonight, I don't want to order stuff I don't need. Car drives great the way it is, but now looking closely, the right front is a little lower in the front.

Geo

That my plan for now. Should I replace anything elese while it's apart? Do the strut mounts normally go bad? Or bearings in the mount? I'm going to order from fredbeans tonight, I don't want to order stuff I don't need. Car drives great the way it is, but now looking closely, the right front is a little lower in the front.

Geo

The top strut mount, nicknamed a "top hat," eventually suffer from wear over time and miles, and develop some looseness. That looseness can be seen by observing any movement by the top hat, while pushing up and down on the fender to compress the strut. If bad, the top hat will move around slightly, and can make a creaking noise. There isn't really a bearing in the top hat, though it is called that. It is a just a rubber covered steel ring or plate. It is prolly the rubber covering wearing out that results in the looseness. If you have any evidence that your top hat is worn, then I would replace it. I don't think they cost much.

Thanks,

No movement seen. I ordered the springs, I will do both sides. Still debating on doing the struts all the way around. Thanks for the info. I guess I will just have to wait to see how everything looks when I take them out.

grab some used struts and springs from a wrx that someone converts to coilovers. usually they can be had for around 200 for all 4. it sits a hair lower and rides rather sporty after! I did this with mine. although if you have a 90-91 you will need to swap on your rear top hats.

Thanks,

No movement seen. I ordered the springs, I will do both sides. Still debating on doing the struts all the way around. Thanks for the info. I guess I will just have to wait to see how everything looks when I take them out.

Don't be surprised if your car rides about an inch taller with the new springs. That has been my past experience. It was not work on a Subie, but I bet it will still sit taller. Over time, it will settle down somewhat. Do you have a spring compressor tool to remove the springs?

you didn't say what year/model? ia 96 or 97 legacy?

i believe there was a recall or something about broken front springs on 1996 legacy's that Subaru will replace free of charge? too late now but might still be worth a look if the labor is free or you can return your parts?

my front right broke on my 1996 LSi when I ran into this and i recall it being a free repair. i had two brand new front strut assemblies though so it was actually simpler since i hate dropping a car off/waiting/getting rides, it's out of the way, and i got a new strut out of the deal as well.

in any event at only $33, i'd just replace the spring and call it a day. if there's some kind of imbalance - one side is high, then you can always entertain doing the other side later. i noticed no difference in mine.

the bearings/mounts don't fail that often to warrant replacing. you'll be able to feel the bearing when you pull the strut off and can inject grease down there once it's off the car. either a $2 needle fitting on a grease gun or some of that spray in grease that coagulates will fill the bearings nicely. they don't really "turn", they just allow a little articulation of the strut, so they don't fail that much. the only bad ones i've seen (twice), both quited right up with some fresh grease.

when my spring broke i just replaced the one strut/coil assembly with new and never bothered installing the other side yet though i have another brand new one of those as well. not worth my time, it's working fine and no difference in ride quality, etc. like you, this is a basic daily driver for me, doesn't need intense attention.

Thanks for the info, sorry I forgot to mention it is. 2000 legacy sedan. I do have a spring compressor. I expect it to ride a little taller. Its funny, it rides perfect now, I had no idea it was even broke. atleast its an easy job.. Spring should be here Friday.