Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt COVERS interchangeability

This was a part of a post I made on another forum but the conversation took another direction... so here it is by itself:

I need to replace the timing covers on a '95 EJ22, and my first option is to go to a junkyard to get them. Living in Michigan, I expect most engines from that era will have the same issue my engine had (rusted timing cover bolts), so I was wondering if the covers from newer SOHC engines are interchangeable. Experts?

Crap. That means I'll have to fight rust...

The covers are about $30 each online. One is not too expensive, but given all the parts I need to buy I need to save a few bucks wherever possible :(

Thanks!

Post what parts you need here at USMB.

Several of us here have bought and sold these to each other. I've actually got a box of 2.2 and a box of 2.5 covers.

Here (in the rust belt) usually atleast the one by the waterpump is rusted and breaks out of the plastic.

Also not everyone on this forum is from the rust belt.

honestly - i wouldnt even bother with replacing the covers. leaving them off makes it much easier to keep an eye on things, and change when needed.

just recently did a reseal on my 1990 EJ22, and while the motor was out, it was de-covered - doesnt even have the back halves anymore. Yes, i was a bit nervous about doing it - i live on a dirt road in north central Wisconsin (yeah rust gets nasty around here too) but it has been a month now and no problems at all. havent been thru a winter this way yet, but i dont really anticipate any problems.

The belt itself might be tough but the idlers and bearings aren't intended to take on the elements directly like that in my opinion.

I agree to some extent but the bearings are sealed and it's really no different than the bearings on the front of the alternator, the power steering pump, or the AC idler which are all exposed in their "natural" state. The very fact that they are sealed and running in a "dry" (without an oil bath, etc) environment seems to sugest they *are* hardened against the elements - one of which being the rubber "dust" from the belt itself..... I don't think it's a big concern for most folks that aren't going to be fording a river with their rig.... and if you keep the splash gaurds in place under the car most of the elements can't enter easily anyhow.

GD

let me guess the bolt where one of the cams snapped and broke the plastic on the cover?

Haha I had that problem too.. I just left the cover off (it was the pax side)

I'm glad the newer models don't use that setup anymore.

I got a little scared because I took the car off-road into some mud and rain+ snow and all.. but it was fine.

If you plow through deep damp snow, you can get enough packed into the belt to float it on the pulleys. If you're lucky like me, it happens in front of a drunk white trash lady's house who spends her time screaming threats at you from her porch while you rehang the belt.

If you carry a pre-compressed t-belt tensioner with a grenade pin holding it compressed, getting the belt back in line and set is pretty easy. I never had a problem with sticks, stones, or mud, just deep snow.

If you plow through deep damp snow, you can get enough packed into the belt to float it on the pulleys. If you're lucky like me, it happens in front of a drunk white trash lady's house who spends her time screaming threats at you from her porch while you rehang the belt.

If you carry a pre-compressed t-belt tensioner with a grenade pin holding it compressed, getting the belt back in line and set is pretty easy. I never had a problem with sticks, stones, or mud, just deep snow.

Hadn't thought about deep snow... After hearing this I should get covers for my INTERFERENCE***ej....

ok, now you have me officially re-thinking the coverless idea - I dont even have to be driving in the crap to get snow under the hood around here - it blows in all on it's own!! :eek: (see my avatar) and i frequently have to drive thru deep snow living way out here in the boonies... :-\

Man and just to think last year in the legacy I was hitting snow banks and in like 7 inches of deep stuff :-|

the car had a EJ22 but never thought about the timing belt floating thing..

Only reason I left the cover off was that stupid part that holds the bolt behind the cam snapped and took the plastic with it.

Uhm... I see a bunch of people racing to the junkyards now... maybe it wasn't that smart to ask in a public forum :D

Nah - no need to go to junk yard for me - kept the covers when we took them off (just in case ;) ) Plus have three parts cars here in the yard! :banana: