Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Y" Pipeless ~ Twin Exhaust Pipes on EA82?

Hi All! :)

This is Not another "What if..." Thread, I Really gonna Rebuild that "Y" Pipe from my Weberized Wagon Soon.

It has been Modified very Long time ago, in 1993, when I Removed the Cat and Re-made that "Y" to a Straight Joint of the two 2" Pipes, merged onto a single 2" Pipe that goes Directly to a Free-Flow Low Noise Muffler.

Now the Welded Joint of that "Y" Pipe is Rusted and has Exhaust Leak, So I Was Toying around this Idea:

I Can Do an independent Exhaust for each Head with 2" Pipe, Joining together Both pipes in the Place of the "Y" but Keeping both independent, so the Subie will have Twin Exhaust Pipes.

Now the Questions are:

1. Should I Join both Pipes onto a Single Muffler?
  2. Should I Use Twin Small Mufflers, one for each Pipe?
  3. How those Options may affect the EA82 Performance?

in Case Nº1, a Single Muffler will Keep the Boxer Sound while in Case Nº2 the Exhaust Sound should be Different.

Anyone has Tried this Before? ... I Really Appreciate any Idea or Opinion.

Kind Regards.

JesZeK

It has been done though I do not remember by whom. Unfortunately I do not a video/audio clip for reference. Seems to me he ran 1.5" back on both sides and wasn't too loud but the muffler will have a greater effect on that. Granted this was several years ago and I am probably remembering incorrectly as usual.

you can't run true duel one pipe out off each head without losing your low end power because of the boxer design. but you can put a cross pipe between them and you will be fine i did this on my hatch with an ea81 and put a cherry bomb on each side.

Cheers R.

Yes - for optimum performance you need the exhaust to merge fairly close to the heads - this improves scavenging and increases performance. You can split it up again after that and run dual pipes if you prefer the look, but a true dual exhaust is not beneficial for us flat-four people. It will sound nice if you build it right though :rolleyes:.

GD