Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is this, what does it do and what connects to it?

Found this while replacing the engine coolant temp sensor earlier today. When I pulled it out a lot of coolant also came out. Any ideas?

IMG_0070

IMG_0069

There seems to be a loose connector coming from the wiring harness, but I don't see how it plugs into this.

Looks like a broken gauge sending unit. The one next to the CTS is for the temp gauge on the dash.

GD

Which is probably the gauge is not working. Do you have a part number? Both the CTS and the gauge are disconnected and I am splicing in some wires to it working.

I don't have a part number but they rarely fail and are nearly $40 from the dealer - I would just score a used one from the junk yard and try it out. I have seen only one failure in all my time working on Subaru's.

GD

It didn't fail due to natural causes, but due to manhandling of my own doing. It appears that the place to plug it in no longer exists. I think that's my fault.

Yeah - it's male spade that's riveted to the top - you have the rivet but not the spade. Clearly a mechanical failure. You might be able to repair it but a used one seems easier to me. :rolleyes:

GD

I went to 2 boneyards locally and neither of them had it. I really did a number on both this gauge and the CTS.

What is the formal name of this gauge?

I think you meant this one: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Engine-Cooling-Temperature-Sensor-ACDelco_18051198-P_290_R|GRPSENSAMS_1359989492____

The one you linked is for a 96, but their website says it is not compatible with a 97.

i would be very surprised if subaru changed it.

clcik on the ''usage info'' for usa legacy. they used this part in ALL of their cars for a lot of years.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/info/21203AA030/

The temp gauge fit perfectly and I plugged the connector back in. The coolant gauge on the dashboard now works perfectly. I tried to splice in the wires and connector for the temp sensor, but I don't think I did it right since the CEL is still on and it the code won't clear. I'll try again tomorrow since I am losing my sunlight.

Got the coolant sensor spliced in and cleared the codes. All now works well. Next is to find out why I have to jump the battery every morning. Already swapped the alt with a Subaru reman that I got from the dealer. Ideas?