Ultimate Subaru Message Board

That's a viscous LSD (VLSD) diff - They either have internal snap rings or e-clips. Remove the back cover and inspect.

GD

I haven't had internet so I wasn't able to respond.

Yeah I know it's a VLSD. So either way, there is a way to remove the stubs?

I want to remove the stubs and use the newer style male ended axles.

I want to remove the stubs and use the newer style male ended axles.

Actually I just went though this in my garage - unfortunately what you want to do will be impossible. The stubs are c-cliped in and while they will pry right out of the diff - they are not the same for right vs. left!! The passenger side is a normal stub but the driver's side stub has an extra, smaller diamter, splined section on the end of it that engages the LSD components - none of the newer axle's have this additional "early LSD" right side stub on the end of them - thus you could install them but the LSD would not function and the c-clip groove would not be in the correct place to snap into the diff - leading to the axle floating out of the diff and causing gear oil leakage.

GD

Yeah I have this stuff all installed in my Forester XT actually. I am having serious issues with the axles. It seems like they are trying to pop out of their cups on the outer joints. It cause insane noise and vibration. I should add that they are just about completely horizontal with little or know angle because the Forester is lowered. I figured they would be better this way, but they are not. I wanted to upgrade to the newer style axles, but I guess I can't.

So GD, do you have any knowledge if the SVX axles would click into the SS rear diff? Sounds like they have the same VLSD inside of them. Seems like the SS came with stubs to accommodate the "different" insides it has, and the SVX used male ended axles that were shaped a little different to accommodate this. So do you think if you popped the stubs out, that the SVX axles would slide in, and function/seal?

• 3 months later...
Actually I just went though this in my garage - unfortunately what you want to do will be impossible. The stubs are c-cliped in and while they will pry right out of the diff - they are not the same for right vs. left!! The passenger side is a normal stub but the driver's side stub has an extra, smaller diamter, splined section on the end of it that engages the LSD components - none of the newer axle's have this additional "early LSD" right side stub on the end of them - thus you could install them but the LSD would not function and the c-clip groove would not be in the correct place to snap into the diff - leading to the axle floating out of the diff and causing gear oil leakage.

GD

What about axle stubs like these?

$(KGrHqZ,!kwE6Gw924GbBOk6Vfr-j!~~60_12.JPG

Did the 'normal stub' you looked at resemble a male axle end? I'm trying to do the same thing as the OP (put male axle ends into the above pictured LSD) but it looks like I should be able to because the axle stubs I have are identical from left to right?

Edited by rally_wrx