Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how many angles are on ej18 valveseats?

are they like 3 angle, factory stock?

any ideas? also, anyone know where a power curve chart is for sooby engines?

i know the PEAK power of ea81s and ej18s and all that.

just wondering when the power starts to show up. ive heard many on here complain that ej18s need to be revved pretty high to get their potential out. but compared to what? an ej22, of course, less displacement means less low rpm power, of course., of course.

but how about an older, pushrod, equal displacement engine, like the ea81?

is the come-on comparable, in HP and torque?

to put it another way....

the ea81 lists a hp PEAK of 73hp @ 4800rpm

--------------------------94trq @ 2400rpm

but the ej18 lists THREE possible models, and i have zero clue which of those i even have in my garage right now???

ej181 108hp @ 6000rpm ------- 110trq @ 3200rpm

ej182 113hp @ 6000rpm ------- 114trq @ 4500rpm

ej183 118hp @ 5600rpm ------- 121trq @ 3600rpm

------------------

i got it from suberdave, an impreza, i THINK it was a 1994??

he told me, i just forget.

anyone even know what made the different performance factors between the 3 ej18s? intake? different port design? cam duration? maybe compression?

i dont care much about horsepower, or going over 70mph, 70 feels pretty fast in a brat. but i DO like to get going, and i Do like to handle hills without dropping to first damn gear EVERY time. so a fairly low torque response is a priority in my mind. if i already have the ej183, awesome. but thats a one in three chance. and even less, cuz i find that your odds of having the most ideal of 3 possible options is RARELY 33.3%. maybe 10%, on a good day. lol

so here i am, i typed like 2 sentences about my subject line, and 3 paragraphs about my "p.s."......

You need a set of torque cams from Delta. That will move the power down the curve. Talk to them, but I think they are the same as the EJ22 cams. I know the heads are the same.

Also - find yourself a rocker arm assembly from a '97 or '98 EJ22 - solid lifters will free up HP.

A '97 or '98 EJ22 intake will also flow better. Wouldn't hurt to get one of those too.

GD

sounds like a LOT of pulling apart an engine MUCH more complex than the ea81 i just pulled out. lol.....

but whatever, thats life.

delta torque cam, already planned to do that. the rest, mmmmm,

we will see. sounds like so much work for a couple horsepower.

but the cam, yea, pulling down the curve sounds perfect. i dont care about MORE power, i just want it to come to me sooner when i step on the GO pedal.

i cant complain about the ej18s power, really, i havent even tried it yet. working on getting the adapter plate from scott.

no ideas on how i can find out WHICH ej18 i have? or how many angles my seats have?

You will have to remove the rocker assembly to get the cams out anyway. If you can get a solid lifter assembly you might as well use it.

The intake just bolts on - if you can get a "flat" one from a later EJ22 - they improved the design.

I don't know how to tell the versions - I would guess if it came from a '94 it's an early one since the Imp. (and the EJ18 too) only came out in the states in '93.

I think the valve seats only have a single angle. I don't beleive they have a multi-angle grind by default.

GD

so what kind of power are we talking, with the solid lifters? another 1%? does anyone know if the delta torque cams ADD power? or do they just move it down the rpm range? does anyone have pics of the ej22 intake?

are the runners BIGGER? or just straighter? cuz i know bigger runners hurt response. ej22 intake manifolds just bolt right up and fit it like a stock ej18 intake?

no no, its an ej18. not 22.

my question is WHICh ej18.

i was looking around the web. and saw a couple places

<most notably wikipedia> that there are THREE possible ej18s.

with three possible power ratings at very different rpms.

ej181 108hp @ 6000rpm ------- 110trq @ 3200rpm

ej182 113hp @ 6000rpm ------- 114trq @ 4500rpm

ej183 118hp @ 5600rpm ------- 121trq @ 3600rpm

im just curious. it doesnt really affect me in any mechaincal way.

but, call me crazy, its something id like to know.

whatever the case, yes, i know that even the weakest version

is heaps stronger than my stock ea81. 73hp @ 4800rpm