Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(nearly) Half a million mile Outback! In remarkable condition.

So, I just picked this thing up from craigslist. Has a rod knock. It has A LOT of miles on it and is in what I'm gonna call excellent condition (considering the mileage). Check it out.....

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

Also, I will be selling this car in the near future. This is not the for sale thread, but FYI it will have.....

An engine with 163,000 miles, New t-belt/idlers, H2O pump, and OEM HG's. All this work was done to the engine less than an oil change ago. I did the HG's. Previous owner of the donor engine had the belt/H2O pump done at a shop, with receipts if I can find them.

The tires are nearly new.

I am looking for foglights to replace the broken ones in this car.

Possibly a new windshield.... Maybe.

Lemme know via PM if you may be interested.

Spencer

Edited by obk25xt

He is not selling it yet. Just putting up what he found and how it has a ton of miles.

Oh and that is in great shape for 471k! You get it from Canada?

Nope, it was on portland (OR) CL. The records are all from the Tigard area if I recall. I can only imagine the amount of seat time to rack those miles up! I'm still astounded. I've been legally driving for something like 13-14 years now and am not sure I've even driven that many miles! And I drive a lot... well I consider it to be a lot anyhow.

471, 000 at 65 mph is over 7200 hours. that equals over 3.5 years, of 50 weeks a year, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day.

what year is it?

WOW!! That is some time.... It's a 2000 model.

I was told the guy was some kinda suit for Grocery Outlet and pretty much just drove from store to store.... Musta been nonstop!

See the pic!? Really good still, looks like maybe 100k to me. The guy was either a featherweight, or the thing had covers or something.

yeah, it looks nice - but pics dont show how it sits - as in how good the seat cushion is yet...

but regardless, that car is in VERY nice condition for the age and miles - super nice find!

Nope, it was on portland (OR) CL. The records are all from the Tigard area if I recall. I can only imagine the amount of seat time to rack those miles up! I'm still astounded. I've been legally driving for something like 13-14 years now and am not sure I've even driven that many miles! And I drive a lot... well I consider it to be a lot anyhow.

My dad put over 400k on an 85 DL in just a few years. Was his DD plus he was a courier... Sometimes traveling 400+ miles in a day for work. Hard miles too, stop and go sometimes, plus he shifted hard... That car was why I got into Subarus... He gave it to me and I ran it up to 456k before selling it because he found a 4WD Loyale and I wanted that more.

maybe it's not rod knock. could be a cracked flex plate or the timing tensioner failing - they sound like rod knock too. :lol:

fix it....we'll be seeing an engine for sale thread soon? :lol:

guess you don't know if it's original engine/trans?

I spoke to the guy and he said it was very regularly maintained and never abused... So Im assuming that since he said 400k miles and didnt mention a rebuild or anything, it would be original equipment...

--Again Spencer, congrats on this car, I hope to see it looking clean and for sale soon... might have a few people interested already, but we will see what happens.

• 4 weeks later...

Got 'er on the road. Swapped in a 152,000 mile engine. Super comfy car! Drives nice, will be replacing the front rotors and maybe a ball joint or 2. Other than that seems to be totally solid! Tranny works great, drives straight, struts feel good.

The only issues I see are..... Passenger side rear window doesn't work from either switch, and one of the gauge cluster bulbs needs replaced. Other than that this car is awesome! :banana: