Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cabin air filter 2000 legacy question

I have a 00 legacy l and just went to check the cabin filters and when I got it apart, there was none in there. I don't know if the original owner Took them out, or never came with them. If they were not an option, can I just order the filters and put them on the open spot behind the door with 4clips? Looks like they just slide in and close he door. I just want to make sure they just leave the filters out, and all need parts are there.

Thanks

Geo

yeah drop one in there. if it gets dirty it's working! i bought mine off of ebay, i went ahead and bought a couple while i was at it. it was a few years ago but i think they're spendy from Subaru.

it could have been even that it was removed at some point by a previous owner? they can stink if they get old and lay in there and someone may have just yanked it. my 02 OBW smelled bad when the vent was on when we first got it - replacing the filter solved it.

highly doubt subaru would make different HVAC systems for cars with and without the filter, like you're saying they'd just not install the filter. 2000 was the first year it was offered ever so it's likely all models did not get it. not sure about trim/option levels though.

cars101.com has good info on stuff like this.

Update********. I apologize to anyone who ordered these filters with the link above to amazon. There is a reason they were $10. The quality was extremely poor! And thats being nice. The filter element was not even attached to the sides, there was gaps all the way around. Total garbage. Lucky I had some hvac metal tape, and was able to seal the edges. The only reason I did not send them back was I wanted the frames. Mine did not come with them, at least the fit was very good. What good is a filter if it's not attached to the frame. Also the filter material was very poor. Anyways...if you are looking for an alternative to oem, stay away from the TWC brand.

Geo

My 2002 Forester came from the factory without the cabin air-filters.

I made my own by custom-cutting a piece of furnace-filter medium.

It works OK, catches a few dead flies and the occasional leaf.

Can I ask where you installed it? My '99 Forester doesn't seem to have any place for one.

The filter-box was in-place, underneath the glove box.

The box-cover comes off, after taking a couple of clips off.

The filter-medium slides in from the side.

I first made a cardboard template, to get the right size.

The final version was made in two pieces, each 7.75" x 4.5" (in order to get the filter-medium through the opening).

Edited by forester2002s

On the 2000 legacy, open the glove box, I just squeeze the 2 sides of the of the glove box and drop it open. Once open there is about 6-8 screws to remove the glove box. Behind the glove box I had a wiring harness connector plugged in th the filter door, unplug the connector and look for 4 clips in the same area of the connector. Pop the clips off, use the tip of a small screw driver. Once the clips are removed, the door will slide down a little then remove. At a glance, I does not look like a door is even there, it blends in to the surrounding very good. Once removed, I had to install the top filter first, then the small bottom filter. The crap filters got from amazon fit very well. Just bad filter quality.

It has been Awhile since I took the cover off of the box to look behind it. If I recall correctly it looked to me like this vent exchange on my car was on one molded piece, and no filter placement installed. On the other hand maybe I missed it and should look again. I don't mind modifying it- That is taking the tools and cutting a space for a filter; however, I don't ruin anything. If anyone has any pictures that would help me by light years.

John