Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Meh it did not last that long.. I had to buy this cheap hose tape from shell since it was the only place open at the time.. I only made it about 2 miles before it started to climb again.. It's like a 5 inch slit in the hose.. the tape I put on started to unravel.. Used cloth on the tape and still no good..

I did finally make it to a place where I can rest the night and about 2 blocks away from Advance auto.. hopefully they will have the hose.. mater of fact I'm going to place the order online and just walk in and pick it up tomorrow.

Also another thing to add on the list of things to buy when I redo the heads which I'm hoping are still ok...

Speaking of hoses are the silicone hoses any better then the normal rubber?

you can drive a longlong way IF the radiator cap is off and the speedis kept to 50mph. No pressure = very small leak with a duct tape repair...

Old model Ts hoften ran w/no radiator cap... when that was the case the radiator would "steam" away alot of the radiator water... they had to add as much water to the radiator as gasoline in the tank...

without a radiator cap even a duct tape repair enables you to travel a longlong time IF you keep the spped down...

i've seen some of the aftermarket hoses don't look right when you look at them, but once you try both ways of installing and cut one side down they fit. just did this a couple weeks ago to an EJ motor and it was an upper hose. the last two aftermarket EJ hoses i've bought were not perfect fits at all. they worked though.

I'm sure.. I'm a direct fit is a good year hose but its on rock auto.. my upper hose could be changed as well it's kinda soft feeling..

the lower hose is a dayco it kinda fits but it has this little weird kink in it but not totally kinked..

I'm just getting home.. so glad I decided to leave the AC on yesterday because my room feels very nice after doing all that walking today... First time I did the pull the upper radiator hose today seems to work ok..

For the time being I'm running straight water Since in like 7 days I'm just going to end up taking the radiator out...

I would also replace the radiator cap.

Just in case it was over-pressure that caused the lower hose to split.

Brand new dealer cap.. but I MIGHT go buy another because my nail caught the rubber under the cap and tore a little bit of it off.

It still seals however.

I'm going to take the radiator out tomorrow to test for flow

I notice straight water seems to keep the car more under control then antifreeze.

Straight water expands more and boils sooner than water/antifreeze mixed.

Hoses at the dealer are only like $15 a piece list price. They fit perfectly, no cutting/trimming. :banana:

That hose in the pic was definitely well past time to be replaced.