Ultimate Subaru Message Board

And, it's the inner ends, not the outer ends that are bad -- the bellows apparently were bad for a while, and I've been driving it through water and mud a bit... so now the inner tie rod joints that are supposed to be inside the bellows are loose -- the car feels like driving my '76 ford pickup down the road, kind of hard to keep in the straight line.

So.... is replacing the inner tie rod ends and bellows enough, or is there a possibility that I've done damage to the rack and pinion? It's about $70 for new ends and bellows, vs about $200 for the entire rack... it looks like the inner end has the joint on it and the entire joint screws into the rack, so replacing it should take care of the whole joint, right?

Then, getting an alignment, again, of course.... (just had one two months ago...)

Z

Replace them with new Moog parts, they have a limited lifetime warranty. If you are going to replace the inner then you may as well do the outer at the same time. I use a pipe wrench to get the inner loose. Also get a new bellow boot for each side. When you're done get an alignment. I paid for the lifetime alignments at Firestone and have used it three times. Totally worth it.

Yep, pipe wrench to get the inners off. You have to un-stake the lock washer.

Looking at it, it's a little confusing. But when you have the new part in your hand it makes more sense. Just measure to get the same length of the tierod, and you won't need a new alignment. I've done tie rods on a few different cars, and kept the alignment spot on afterwards.

should be fine just replacing the boot and inner tie rod and cleaning everything up while you're at it. hopefully the rack seals are fine, doesn't sound like you mentioned anything about leaking steering fluid.

i never get alignments after simple parts replacements like this, it's unnecessary if you keep track of where everything is. measure or count turns, it's not hard to retain your alignment. alignments are way oversold.

Is this a rebuilt rack or a used one for $200?. If rebuilt it seems like a screaming deal and I would like to know where you found it.

It's a rebuilt one, from Rockauto. They've actually got three different brands to choose from.