Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This is my first post on this forum. I usually use NASIOC but after reading a lot of info on my girlfriends '97 Impreza, I actually found more useful information here. My question is how much slack is in the timing belt. I just got done doing the timing belt on a EJ22, and everything lined up fine and I turned it by hand. The belt still had some deflection but seemed relative to the position of the cams on how much tension was on them. I had to reuse the old tensioner as they gave me the wrong part at the auto part store. In one position I could barely turn one of the idlers on the lower passenger side by hand with the belt on, but at other positions (as I rotated the crank) I could not. The new belt has more tension than the old one. I also used an OEM replacement and the car has 132K on it. I was curious as to what other people experienced with the amount of tension as this was my first timing belt on a Subaru.

Being a '97 it would have the piston style tensioner - we don't typically replace those. They almost never fail.

Tension is not really an issue since it's hydraulically controlled - there is nothing you can do about it. It is what it is. As long as you pry the tensioner fully to the left before locking it down and pulling the pin - you should be good.

GD

I did pry it all the way to the left before tightening it. That's the reason I didn't replace it as most people on here say that they do not replace the older style due to their stability. I just didn't know if they were on the verge of failing if they would have a lack of tension. Everything sounded great when I started it. There's no abnormal noise coming from the timing belt area so I think everything should be fine. She just had a 1/2 cross country trip so I'm trying to get everything taken care of. Thanks for the reply though. Now I just have to replace that pesky transfer solenoid!

Being a '97 it would have the piston style tensioner
interesting. my old 97 impreza OBS (owned by a friend now) is, my friends 97 Legacy L sedan is, and my buddies 97 impreza sedan is as well. maybe i have bad luck, i bought all of those cars. :lol: regional difference, luck?