Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone using the magnaflow ej22 exhaust?

tallwelder81

i had the magnaflow front half exhaust on my ea81 brat.

very nicely built, great quality.

smooth bends, fairly thick tubing. thick flanges.

real nice flow.

my question is, has anyone tried the EJ system?

can anyone tell me for 101% sure, does the ej22 exhaust fit the

ej18?

im thinking ill take the dualport collectors and about 14" of that, and

butt-weld it to my ea81 magnaflow that i already have.

or maybe someone WANTS my ea81 magnaflow assembly.

100 cash. id rather not ship.

When swaping to an EJ you will have to cut your y-pipe or the cat will hit your sway bar. So to answer your question. You could keep yours and cut it apart and weld it in. Or just like I answered in your other exhaust thread, you can get a magnaflow cat and weld it in place of your stock cat'd y-pipe. And I answered your other question in your other exhaust thread about yes it will fit... I had an EJ18 in my brat and then swapped to the EJ22.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124485

sorry mr brat. its not that i dont read your posts or value the input.

i just get mixed up in the details.

a lot of variables in different engines/cars/crossmembers/trannys/etc

some cars use a diff crossmember or even a different suspension on the same "model", based on an upgraded engine option.

i just like to be 101% sure before i spend my hard earned cash and time.

i got the engine from suberdave, and he mentioned that the ej18 burns really clean and thorough, efficient. i realize i dont need to take emmissions tests in a 1983 car. but im a big believer in not polluting more than necessary. and anyhow, id rather not breathe more crud than necessary. i get enough of my "quota" when welding. so i chose NOT to run my ea81 straight pipe, considering the combustion imperfection of the Carb.

but now im kinda thinkin, you know, fuel injection.....

less unburned fuel comin out the tail. so why spend more for the Cat conv

if i dont need to.

No worries, I just thought you were repeating yourself. As far as I remember the cats are differant between the EA and EJ. I think they have differant numbers. If you have the stock EJ y-pipe, you can put a new cat in it if you would like. You will have to cut the y-pipe to fit... The EA car suspension is the same. And the same cut and modified y-pipe from the EJ18 will bolt right onto the EJ22 if you decide to upgrade later as I did. Nothing changes, if I remember right the 18 and 22 heads are almost identical.

So to answer your question about will it change from motor to motor, yes it will.

Putting a magnaflow cat inplace of the stock, there is no need. If the cat is working fine... dont replace it.