Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stereo dash mount kit

Ok I'll rephase that - no one makes the "kit" that was intended for EA81's anymore - at one time Metra did make a kit to mount an aftermarket two-knob cassette deck on the EA81's..... that's it and it's no longer being produced :rolleyes:. The commonly used (and ugly as sin) kit is for the EA82's but requires hacking the hell out of the radio console and loseing the ashtray, etc.

You can roll your own radio install using whatever you like but if you want it in the center console and you want more than a two-knob unit, and you would like it to look decent.... you will have to get creative.

Here's the last one I did:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=115379

GD

actually if it comes with the plate on the left the knob stuff is a knock out and is pretty easy. I have one and that's what I did. It has just enough room for the deck I was using anyway. However you will have to as previously mentioned cut your factory console.

Mike

Thanks for all the info everyone, its a shame nobody makes a decent kit but that is understandable. I have a dremel tool somewhere and I just ordered one of these nice mechless decks, it was only 45 bucks or something like that, I don't need a cd player I have an iPhone :banana:

Now the problem is putting in some decent speakers, more specifically finding a place to put them. I ordered a pair of 4" two-ways for the front and I'm thinking about 6x9's in boxes in the back? I want a sub as well, but want to keep the back of the car relatively clear so I can go camping and sleep in it somewhat comfortably.

If anyone else has an 81 or w/e years that they came with this tinny two speaker radio, if you have pics of where you put your speakers that would be awesome to see them I need ideas.

Also thanks GD for the link to that thread, it gave me the idea of getting a mechless deck, I hadn't even thought of something like this before.

Well, if i'd seen this post earlier, I could have helped with the metra kit. I happen to have one I found for my '81 GL but didn't use when I installed my kenwood Head unit.

As for speakers, I placed my 6x9's in individual, prebuilt boxes (best buy) and left enough tether on them to move them around the back, if needed.

They'll turn into a coupla 'clackers' if I ever roll this thing, but they sound better than nothing at all.

I'll post a pick of my install, i moved the change holder into the slot that

the original "am jam" was located, and it's worked out well..

see the install results here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tUfcbeZjM8iRev1s1nnjRA?feat=directlink

cheers,

Edited by gadberry
inserted photo link

Thanks for all the help and tips guys. i got it installed end everything I just need to find a constant 12v or wire one in, the stereo not saving settings got annoying the first time i turned it off. Does anyone know if there is a constant 12v anywhere near the stereo I can splice into?

Sounds a million times better than stock now though.

Thanks for all the help and tips guys. i got it installed end everything I just need to find a constant 12v or wire one in, the stereo not saving settings got annoying the first time i turned it off. Does anyone know if there is a constant 12v anywhere near the stereo I can splice into?

Sounds a million times better than stock now though.

Either tap into the fuse box, or just run your own wire from the battery. You don't want to tap into just any wire, the circuit should probably handle about 10amp for the stereo alone. So if the stock wire is not there, just run a new wire from the battery to the deck. HTH!