Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 stroke oil in gas??

Was just reading about people putting two stroke oil in the gas for their car ( 1 oz per 5 gallons) and was wondering if anyone here has done it or know someone that does? And what are your thoughts on it..
Why would you want to do this?

actually, had someone recommend this for the lawnmowers for long term storage (over winter) supposedly keeps the fuel "fresh" longer creating fewer problems with varnishing in the small passages of the carb.

I have not tried it on the mowers yet, or anything else for that matter.

like i said, was recommended for the mowers - no one said anything about using it in cars to me.

I've heard of the older diesels doing this to bring the new diesel fuels we have over here more inline with what the engine was designed for in the first place.

With all of these new electronic injected diesel engines on the market the fuel has changed to meet demand with no regard for the older style engines that still needs something that's less refined. Apparently the 2 stoke oil added in does the trick...

Cheers

Bennie

the thread was talking about switching from using lucas gas treatment to 2 stroke marine oil. Its cheaper then the lucas and they said it works the same.

I know it was but I'm wondering what's the difference between using 2-stroke and MMO. Do they affect different engines parts? The MMO is a gas treatment also.

Sorry, did not mean to hijack the thread, just wondering if there is something better than MMO I should be using, like the marine oil.

Subarule

One oz. per 5 gals. is not enough to adjust timing over. Older gas had lead for a lubricant. Modern gas is fairly dry and would probably do better with a small trace of oil in it. I been using a little Mystery oil in my Brat for years. Also drop an oz. per tankful in my Suzuki Bandit. Two stroke oil might be a cheaper alternative. Seems like I remember reading something on the motorcycle forum several years back about a TC3 two stroke oil as being the best. Don't quote me as it was a long time ago and I had thought abouit trying it but never did.

• 3 weeks later...

There is merit in the idea for some applications,though I don't believe it would apply to a Subaru.

I have used it for a few years on Honda CRF 250 MX bikes where the extra lubrication extends piston and ring life and it helps greatly with keeping the Titanium valves alive longer.

Honda recomend replacing the Piston every 15 hours running time,with the addition of a small amount of premix 2T oil pistons are still measuring up to spec at 50 hours using Motul 800 synthetic two stroke oil.

Valve wear is greatly reduced as these run a ti nitride coating and as soon as it goes south valve clearances change hourly,this definately extends valve life.