Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Identifying a turbo brat?

Hey folks; I found an 83 brat for sale and am trying to figure out if it is a turbo before I drive the two and a half hours to go look at it. Can someone help me with some key indicators that I can have the guy look for? He doesn't seem to know a thing about the car.

Second question, if rust is "just starting" on the rear wells, is this too hard a long-term fix to get myself into?

Thanks!

If its a turbo, it will be fuel injected instead of carburated. Also, there will be an aluminum plenum that goes from the turbo outlet to the throttle body that will have raised lettering on it that says "Subaru 4WD Turbo" in big letter. Can't mistake a turbo Brat for a naturally aspirated Brat.

Thanks Caboobaroo.

So, definitely not a turbo. Can you guys chime in on if this seems like a good deal? I have wanted a Brat for some time. I can do basic maintenance but never done body work or extensive engine rebuild stuff. Here are the specs, and photos provided by the seller are attached:

1983 Brat GL, Automatic. 130k miles. Interior is clean, apparently, but drivers seat worn from years of, shall we say, an oversized driver. Suspension is said to be OK. There is rust on both rear wheel wells (which I understand can be an "uh-oh!", but owner says pretty much no rust elsewhere. Claims no oil leaks, that the oil pressure gets up to 50 after running for a bit but hasn't watched it after a really long time of running. He says the engine sounds good and clean, starts up fine unless its been sitting for more than a few days, then "you really have to crank it to get it going." All original equipment (no mods). $2750.

Thoughts?

(Photos shortly once i get them online somewhere)

Ah... the one in Delta Junction?

$2,750 sounds steep... it should be in really good shape for that. He may be asking a premium because there aren't many left in the state.

Sounds like the choke may be bad... my Brat can sit for weeks, I just floor the accelerator, turn the key and it starts right up and sets itself at 2000rpm as it warms up.

Wheel wells and rear rockers aren't too big a deal, look at the frame rails, rockers, front apron, engine compartment and tail gate hinges.

I have 3 complete engines, if you end up getting this thing we'll get that thing running like a champ.

Good luck, take lots of pics.

Edited by tundrabrat

I wouldnt pay that much for an automatic brat with 130k and rust issues. I dont know if you have ever driven an automatic early 80s subaru but...they suck! If your going to get a brat i would advise you look for a 4 speed (most were). The auto is rarer but for a reason.

Definitely too much. maybe closer to $2K if it's in as good of shape as he says. Also, the turbo Brat didn't come out until '84.

Just noted auto..... Take a hit for that. It means it's a DL, not a GL. Say $1800 unless it's immaculate and with rust, it's not.....

turbobrat.jpg?t=1311371019

thats how to id a turbo brat :grin:

just kidding. Turbo BRATS were made in 83 and 84

They had special badging, on the Tailgate gold turbo emblem

on the mirrors, gold turbo emblems

The cluster will have a Boost guage mounted normally where the reg BRAT oil pressure guage sits.

intake different no kidney bean air cleaner.

the body side modlings and bumpers will have a gold strip whereas reg brat has chromish

1983-turbo-a.jpg

1983-turbo-c.jpg1984-f.jpg

Edited by bheinen74

Ugh... automatic AND has rust?? I wouldn't pay over $500 personally :rolleyes:

wrong. any car in that limited production number, is worth at least 2g.

A car to crush at the junker sells for 325.

i am waiting on pics i might buy at 1800 and have it shipped

Here are the photos, folks. Sorry it took me a bit to get these online but I had an internet problem for a few days....

KgCVTB6MNR_nnYgT26_L8Q?feat=directlink

WclmVBCuaLzPMjZtJ5QfkA?feat=directlink

I am thinking to redirect the money into some needed engine work on my Trusty Justy, however, as the automatic tranny I think is the dealbreaker here.

Thanks everyone!

Here are the photos, folks. Sorry it took me a bit to get these online but I had an internet problem for a few days....

KgCVTB6MNR_nnYgT26_L8Q?feat=directlink

WclmVBCuaLzPMjZtJ5QfkA?feat=directlink

I am thinking to redirect the money into some needed engine work on my Trusty Justy, however, as the automatic tranny I think is the dealbreaker here.

Thanks everyone!

Pics arent working.