Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have about 275 miles on my new clutch, and 250 of them was just a few miles to work and back at a time. I drove it a little more today, jumped on the highway and some town driving. For the last few days the clutch pedal started feeling a little funny. I would press the clutch, and when I let it up, the first half feels fine, I get to the 50% position then it snaps to the top. I had no real problems yet shifting, just 1 time time going in to 3rd. If I go to press the clutch there is not much resistance the first half, after that feels normal. Very annoying..it just not a smooth push. I just got home with it, and can't look at it till tomorrow afternoon, so looking for some sugestions before I get in to it.

Also should it was about 100 degrees here today, noticed the most on very hot days.

My guess is air in the line, but how? It was fine the first few hundred miles.. I just drove it a lot more today. Is this a common problem? First place to start looking? Sound like air in the system?

Update..just found a tsb on this issue, mine does not actualy stick, it always comes back to the top, but like I mentioned half way up looses it spring. My foot is almost off the pedal before it hits the top.

Slave cylinder and hose? Is ther a way to check for sure? Or just change and see.

Thanks

Geo

Edited by Rpm90001

has the fluid ever been changed? maybe needs changed or bled? is there any reason air may have been introduced at the clutch change - though i'm with you, doesn't make sense it would be fine....then not?

it is really difficult to get air out of these things (couple other threads about it). i believe GD came up with a repeatable method. i've had to do all sorts of crazy things to get the air out...like wait or drive/bleed/drive/bleed - seems the moving/driving or setting overnight allows bubbles to finally make it out that straight pushing fluid doesn't always get out.

i've had to replace the slave and hose before as well and while i can't recall the exact symptoms but the clutch pedal was definitely wonky yet drivable. i'm not sure if i'm just agreeing with you but the "sticky" clutch seems to be familiar in my mind. i remember looking around since i was new to hydraulic clutches, finding the info about the slave/hose and replaced those and all was fine after i played circus clown trying to bleed it!

do you find any other threads about the slave/hose failing and what symptoms they had?

It's the only fluid in the car I did not change, I did not touch it during clutch Install/ head gasket change. Seems everyone had same type of problem after clutch change and hot weather. It fully detracts to the top when my foot is off the pedal, but feels funny half way to the top.

I had to replace the slave cylinder on my 98 outback with GD and it definitely took both of us to do it right but it went fairly quickly. Rick disconnected the pushrod to the clutch from the pedal and manually pushed it in with his hand because pushing the pedal in doesn't fully compress it. I was actually not strong enough to push it all the way with my hand so he pushed it in while I opened and closed the bleeder valve.

You might want to PM him on it but after he did this, my clutch felt the best it had in the 8 years I've owned my car.