Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch slave cyl washers. No one list them...

GD

Thanks, i found a set at advanced auto. They are a perfect, but will match them up when i remove the slave. If they dont match, i will re use the old ones. I have re used them before, but with everyone saying the system is a pain to bleed, i figured just replace them.

Geo

Well - there's a couple rules I've found that will help the first-timer with bleeding the new slave.

1. The pedal doesn't fully actuate the MC piston. You can disconnect the MC at the pedal very easily and actuate the piston by hand. Note that you will feel a GREAT deal of resistance and it may feel like you are not even moving it. You have to push HARD. This is how I typically get the first few pumps done because it's the most effective a quickest method to get the pedal operating.

2. The system is unlike a brake system where you can pump it as fast as you like durring bleeding. When bleeding the clutch you should apply steady, even pressure to the pedal on the downstroke (open the bleeder just after you begin to apply pressure) - you have to take "control" of the pedal as it's spring loaded - manhandle it into doing what you want. Just before it bottoms out have your assistant close the bleeder. Then pull the pedal back up off the floor (it will stick there the first few times). Then you WAIT. You must now wait about 20 seconds for the MC to refill it's empty fluid chamber. It sounds weird I know - but if you don't wait for a bit between each stroke and open/close the bleeder at the right times you will spend DAYS trying to get it right.

Hope that helps. I had to figure this out the hard way and after doing half a dozen of them I have my *technique* for it now..... but it IS pain in the neck no matter what. I don't think I have done one in under an hour yet. :rolleyes:

GD

GD,

I printed your instructions and went out to change the slave. I took my mity vac and vacuumed out the old fluid out of the MC, filled with new. Took the vac and attached to the old slave to pull the rest of the old out before installing the new slave. Once clear, I removed the old and replaced it with the new slave cylinder. Hooked up my vac pump to the new slave to pull fluid through it. I filled the mc 3 times and pulled it through the system. Closed the bleeder and went to see if there was any pedal. Pedal felt perfect. It was no longer sluggish, and felt nice and firm. I took it about 20 miles through town and it was perfect the whole way. Feels totally different than before. I took it for a second ride back to advance auto an hr later and still perfect.

To bleed the system I never had the push the pedal a single time, I just my mityvac. The whole install and bleed took 25 minutes ( well 4 songs from the bat out of he'll cd). Boy I think I got lucky.:banana: Have you ever tried using a Mityvac

Thank you for the instructions, I was ready to follow them 100%. But never had to go that far.

I always here people complaining about the mityvac, I use mine all the time and love it. I just used it to change out my brake fluid when I did the brakes..I think is a great took if used correctly.

Geo

Edited by Rpm90001