Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is mean by "...by means of red check."

I'm repairing my 2.5L EJ25 and have no idea what to do when instructed to "inspect important areas by means of red check.

All of my searching has lead back to the same section of the service manual and I can't find any other mention...

doc name MSA5TCD97L3473.pdf Page 3 in Section C. Step 1. Cylinder Head

I'm curious mostly but I will feel like I've skipped a step if I don't get some sort of closure on this.

Thanx in advance for answering my silly question...

PS: if you can get a 1st page result in a search for this info please post the query you used. Thanx :banana:

The phrase "Make sure that no crack or other damage exists. In addition to visual inspection, inspect important areas by means of red check"

makes me think it's a chemical crack-check procedure.

Read more: Subaru DL how do I change the head gasket(s) on a 87 DL w - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/subaru/4a7q1-subaru-dl-change-head-gasket-s-87-dl.html#ixzz1T42o9T3f

Dave

Thanx! I am focused on my project and didn't want to veer off course.

Closure achieved.

Follow up question: Has anyone used this method at home? (I haven't followed the links yet to read further... if answered, no need to reply here).

Thanx again.

Right. A "red check" is a chemical process for checking for cracks.

I've never done it. Always just pay the machinist to do it when I get a cylinder head resurfaced. I think the kits are kinda expensive. Not sure if it's something you can get at a local parts store, but you can always order stuff online.

The EJ heads rarely crack. Unless I suspected it had happened I wouldn't even bother to check them. My machine shop says about 1 in 100 might have a small crack. Dubious as to if it would even matter. I take the risk of not checking and I've done many dozens of head gaskets and I've never put a head on and found out later it was cracked.

GD

The EJ heads rarely crack. Unless I suspected it had happened I wouldn't even bother to check them. My machine shop says about 1 in 100 might have a small crack. Dubious as to if it would even matter. I take the risk of not checking and I've done many dozens of head gaskets and I've never put a head on and found out later it was cracked.

GD

+1 minus my machinist. 1 in 100, i was surprised by that.

subaru does not do a red check. some don't even machine or pressure test, so that's even overkill compared to what Subaru does.

pressure tests are most common on here i believe and it's assumed if that is good the head is going to last the life of the vehicle.